My 20 month old has a problem swallowing his food. For some reason he chokes on just about everything, and it scares me to even feed him solid food at all. Does anyone elase have this problem?

aydenl

Asked by aydenl at 6:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no never had that problem with mine but have a friend that has to get her 3 year old throat streched it is something that runs in there family if it keeps on talk to his dr. about it. Good Luck
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• If this is something new, talk to the pediatrician. It could be a sore throat or something.

If this has been going on, it should have been addressed with the doctor by now considering his age.

My oldest has a problem with mixed textures, but not food in general.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Talk with his doctor about this. There's a possiblity that it is allergies, although not to all food. I know that when I tried to eat anything with ginger or cloves in it that my throat would close, but, again, only certain things and not all solids.

Answer by Bmat at 6:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• He could also have enlarged tonsils and adenoids, which may make swallowing difficult. My niece and nephew both had theirs out for this reason.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• You should definitely talk to the pediatrician. There are a lot of things it could be.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 6:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Thanks everyone, I was thinking that maybe it was normal as kids were learning to eat, but I realized that it's not because I noticed other children his age were having no problem, even with meat which seems to be the hardest. He literally chews his food up and spits it out. I am for sure bringing it up to his dr at his next visit
    aydenl

Answer by aydenl at 7:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2009