how do i ween my kids off the binky??

my three year old was given the binky while in the NICU and never got rid of it! he has a speech problem and a speech teacher but we just cant get him to give it up! HIs brother will be 2 in May and just recently started using one for some unknown reason and his speech has recently slowed down as well. how do i get them to give up the binky without too much trama????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you probably wont without screaming and throwing a fit,but it needs to go.Just bite the bullet,and tell him,he needs to give it to a baby,that was born really little like him,the baby needs it more than him,and he is a big boy now.Let him put it in the mail box,and pretend to mail it to a baby.write a little note to the baby,let him tell you what to write,then the next day ,you write a thank you note,like from the baby,and let him get it out of the mailbox.and read it to him,how much she /he needed the passy. Good luck
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Just take them away. It will be over in a few days instead of dragging it out by doing it slowly and "weening". Especially if there is a speech problem!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Well... I pretty much tossed my son's binky out the window when we were driving down the road...he was a year old....he's never missed it and is taking naps on his own :)
    ProudMom9107

Answer by ProudMom9107 at 2:40 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• thanks to all your responses! my husband and i finally decided to take them to the store and have them pick a stuffed animal or blanky out to sleep with and that night we took the binky--both took well and no more binkies! we told them we threw them out the window to the baby birds they laugh and go on with their business. thanks
    Anonymous