4 year old potty issues (not training)

She has been trained since before her 3rd birthday- but just recently she has started having to go potty in my car. It doesn't matter if we left a place one minute before, once we are on the road she has to go soooo bad that she can't possibly hold it until we get home (and home is less than five mins away) This past week she has peed in my car two times... both times during ten-twenty minute car rides.

She doesn't complain about pain or anything any other time and as long as she is at home she uses the potty without any trouble.

Does anyone have any ideas how to stop this nastiness???

LuckyClown

Asked by LuckyClown at 6:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Are you taking her potty before setting out in the car? Is she completely emptying her bladder when she does go? Is she anxious about something? There's a lot of factors that could be involved.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 12:34 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• get her checked for a uti, or bladder infection. Sometimes kids can't explain why they have done what they have done. She is obviously having problems holding it for some reason, and that is the 2 I could think of.
    Anonymous

• don't those usually hurt too though?
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 6:56 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• yes, they do...theres no way to mask the pain of a uti if they have a severe enough one...my oldest has had a few and she tells me that "mommy, sometimes it burns when i pee"...I would get her checked out cause sometimes there CAN be hidden symptoms that are leading UP to the UTI...OR, she has the pain but cant explain them yet.
    ArmyWifeSierra

Answer by ArmyWifeSierra at 8:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• See she has had UTI's before and each time I knew about them because she tells me...She is not tough so i know when she is in pain or even uncomfortable-

Honestly she is a very impulsive child (so impulsive even she doesn't know where her feet will take her next- she falls a lot) I think I do need to remind her to go potty before we go on trips,

Thing is she hasn't done it in anyone elses car (and she rides in Mamaw's car a lot)
    But at school they have potty times, they are very strictly regulated so maybe she does need to be reminded before we leave. I am going to try that.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2009