Please tell me it gets better.

My daughter is 4 weeks old and I'm on maternity leave staying alone with her all day. I'm going crazy. She's fussy all day and I have to hold her non-stop. She screams bloody murder if she is put down even for a few mins. I'm going to lose my mind. I don't feel depressed, just very very stressed. Please tell me this will end!!! When??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know its hard, but hang in there! It will get better! You may have a little post partum going on also! Your hormones are going crazy trying to get back to normal! Try to get out with the baby for the day...even if you just walk around the mall...just take a break and get out of the house! Good luck momma and I hope it gets better soon!
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 7:23 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Eventually, but there are stressful parts about any age! Hang in there! Just hold your baby and be there for her :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Well, I am right there with you!! This is my first baby and he will be 4 weeks on Monday. I don't sleep anymore and can't wait for this stage to be over, but at the same time I know I'm going to miss it sooo much!! If you need anyone to talk to, please feel free to message me! I know EXACTLY how you feel!!!!!!!!!
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Yes it gets better. I'm a stay at home mom... I feel the same way some days but I know babies are just like us they have there good days and bad days. At that age they are just very needy.. they still arent totally adjusted to not being in your belly anymore. Mine did awesome at that age but he was so stuffed in my belly he was just happy to be free lol.. But I got blessed with a good baby but now it's nothing but a roller coster.. Just think you your self when you are losing it.... I WILL make it through this day.. Repeat it as many times as you need to until you feel a little reliefe it wont totally go away but it will help.. Well it helps me when my son has a bad day. Hope this helps.. You will make it just hang in there
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 7:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Oh YES. It does get better! Those first few weeks are so intense. Can you get a baby carrier, like a sling or pouch, so that you don't have to put her down? You can find info about the benefits and how-to, and what kind of carrier might work well for you at www.thebabywearer.com. I remember the day I got mine, and was finally able to have a content baby AND have my life at the same time; it changed my life.

Newborn babies need lots of touch, and holding them is very beneficial for them... but at the same time it can be so rough on an exhausted mama! Her need is normal, and the easiest course of action is to meet it as best you can and ride it out, while trying to get your needs met too. Get some help if you can, with the housework or whatever (or let some of it slide for a bit while you focus on your new priority.) I promise: they aren't newborns forever! This will be just a brief, bittersweet memory to you one day.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Oh, yes. It gets much better.

No one bothers to tell people that newborns really aren't lovable most of the time. They're more demanding than any Hollywood diva.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• It'll definitely get better. The first 3 months are always the hardest.
    starandseen

Answer by starandseen at 8:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• It will get better and you will get more used to it. It really takes time. Everyone kept telling me "oh dont worry it will get easier" I didn't beleive them because I didnt see the light at the end of the tunnel, and to be quite honest it didnt get better for me until my ds was about 6 months or so, then I really saw the light. I will tell you that every stage is frusterating all in its own way, and then you get over that stage and thank god its over.....before you blink an eye, you may have a new struggle. I have come to realize it will probably never end and that is just a part of being a mother. The first few weeks are the absolute hardest especially as a new mom, because these little beings are just not accustomed to the big bad outside world and some of them really let you know it lol! Just understand that your baby is trying to get used to the world around her and its an adjustment period for both you. Good luck!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 8:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Oh honey! it is so hard. The first 7-8 weeks are hard. Then it gets easier week by week focus on the 8 week mark your half way there!!!!
    mammasamba

Answer by mammasamba at 9:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Thank you moms! Seriously, I'm starting to feel like maybe I'm just not cut out for this motherhood thing even though I'm doing everything i can and more. It is sooo stressful and to top it off all the moms I talk to tell me that their kids never cried and were just perfect-- yeah right! I think most people have a difficult time remembering what it's like to have a newborn. It does get better everyday, but this is seriously the hardest thing I"ve ever done in my life!
    Anonymous