losing milk supply? help please.

i think i'm losing my milk supply. my daughter seems less and less interested in breast feeding and i think my pump is broken. it's not working well. it's a medela electric pump and it seems like it doesn't have enough suction. i can't get anything out. does antone have any suggestions? i do supplement feed but i don't want to stop nursing. any advice is greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

Kitty0907

Asked by Kitty0907 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is your pump turned all the way up? Around here, you can rent pumps from the hospital, you may want to give that a try. Good luck!
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 7:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Besides your daughter showing less interest, is there any other reasons you think you are not making enough? How old is she? How often does she nurse? How often, and how much formula do you give? Do you mind sharing the reason you supplement? Is she gaining weight? How many diapers do you change on a daily basis?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• The proof is in the diapers! Count wet and dirty diapers to know for sure how your supply stands. If baby is not producing enough wet/dirty diapers, stop by here: www.cafemom.com/group/lllcafemom.

Anonymous

• First I would call Medela and trouble shoot with your pump (they just sent me a brand new one for free! All I had to do is show proof of purchase)
    Then I would try a supplement like More Milk Plus, Mothers milke tea, or fenugreek
    Or you could get a prescription from your OB if it's really dropping and the supplements are doing it... for Reglan.
    But I would just try to get her on the breast as often as possible and it should help.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:35 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Medela can help you with the pump.

Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group and we can help you with the rest...this Answers forum isn't great for Q&A like we usually use to troubleshoot.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2009