Do you ever feel like your not a good enough mother to try and bring a child into this world on purpose?

My first one was a surprise and I was by no means trying, well now she is almost 5 and I still can't shake the feeling that I have no right to bring another child into this world. I don't feel like I am doing a good job. Anyone else feel this way? Any good books to help me get over my delima?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I for one know I had no business bringing children into the world. All of mine were accidents. You just have to try your best. Good luck!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• No, never. I knew we could afford the children, and I had studied and decided child care. I went out of my way to provide nutritious food, and I exposed them to events and situations that I considered valuable. This isn't to say that I felt that some others might have done better for them, but I felt that I had done what I considered important.

Why don't you feel you are doing a good job? Is your child happy and doing what you consider important?

Answer by Bmat at 7:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Yes...it's almost like I don't feel like I love her enough :( She is a very outgoing little girl with lots of love and energy...but for some reason I hesitate.

I am the OP...
    Anonymous

• I feel awful. I wanted my baby...I planned on having him. I just feel so bad that I don't have a house and a backyard...white picket fence...that sort of thing. I feel bad that he's gonna hurt. I am afraid of kids making fun of him at school. I'm afraid of what the future is going to be like for him. All those things that we've all gone through as kids & you don't want to see your kid fall off the monkey bars or get their feelings hurt. I feel to guilty for all these things that are typical & inevitable & unavoidable.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I know I have no business bringing a child into this world he is an accident but i will do my best and thats the best i can do...
    Logan17000

Answer by Logan17000 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• No. My husband and I had been happily married almost three years, financially we could afford him, he was planned, we knew we could provide a good life for him: nutrition, healthy, and all things that kids needs(even a college fund has been started for him), and we also knew we were ready to have him because we knew we would love him and protect him no matter what.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I am with you. My DD is almost 7 months old and I feel like I have no idea what the hell I am doing and why I was even allowed to have a baby. I am happily married and my husband and I love her more than anything. I just think I am a bad mom. I don't think I can teach her anything. We did not plan to have her. We just STARTED talking about having a baby and then there it was two pink lines on that pee stick. SO YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
    mamanpnk

Answer by mamanpnk at 5:00 PM on Apr. 3, 2009