Any advice for a mom flying alone with a grumpy (possibly teething?) 4 month old?

Last time we flew, he was 6 weeks old and he slept or breastfed the whole time. I am not expecting to be that lucky this time...

KatieOwen

Asked by KatieOwen at 7:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I flew a lot with my little one & it's not as bad as you would think. Your baby is only 4 months & a lot of people emphasize more for you mama! ( o;  Don't stress yourself out to much because crying is what "babies" do. It's the "toddler" age that you should start feeling the heat. (ha) They are so active & get bored quickly. For the teething, you can give the baby a little teething tablet. They are really little & it goes under the tongue. It melts quickly & I just rubbed it around on my sons gums. They work really well.

onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 8:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I was worried about the same thing last month when my son was 3 1/2 mos. Both my flights were at night, which I think helped, so he was already sleepy. He did pretty much sleep the whole time. I was really surprised because he is not used to falling asleep on me AND he gets pretty fussy when he's in one place too long. It was about 3 hrs. of flight time (1 stop).
    I guess what worked for me was
    1) scheduling the flight after 6pm,
    2) Making sure I had plenty of time so I could pay more attention to his needs like diaper changes, and when he started to get fussy, and
    3) I also heard that sucking on something helps with the ear pain of pressure changes, so a pacifier or breastfeeding could also help.
    CarrieChavez

Answer by CarrieChavez at 8:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I flew to Hawaii when my dd was 4 months old and she did fine. Thats a 6-6 1/2 hour flight non stop. Just make sure to pack a few little toys for him to play with and you should be fine. DD slept most of our flight.
    Anonymous

• Get a window seat! It was hell when they put us in an aisle seat. Not to mention everyone and their mother had to keep getting up, which was disruptive to baby. Just make sure you pee before you board the plane and feed and change baby too.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2009