If I buy a car in another state do I pay sales tax in that state as well as my state's sales tax?

We are looking at cars and we are going to see one at a dealer in PA. If we buy it do we pay PA sales tax AND NJ sales tax or just one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Shopping

• You are just purchasing an item so I would believe that no matter what state it is in, you will just pay 1 sales tax.
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 8:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• You only pay the taxes in the state you purchased it in. You will probably pay the registration fees for your own state though.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 3:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• As a former auto salesperson I can tell you with certainty that you will pay sales tax for the state that you live in. It does not matter what state you purchase the vehicle in. All taxes and registration fees are paid to your state. For example, I use to work in Vermont and customers would come in from New Hampshire, which does not have sales tax, so the customer would not have to pay sales tax on the vehicle. I've had a customer from New York come to Vermont and purchase a vehicle and he had to pay New York sales tax of 8%. So as you can see it is calculated by the state you live in, not the state you buy in.
    shelly2373

Answer by shelly2373 at 8:00 AM on Apr. 10, 2009