For those of you who weaned (off the breast) at a year, how did you go about doing it?

My baby will be one this May, and I am ready to stop nursing after her birthday. Do I supplement her nursings with whole cows milk (she nurses 4X a day right now)? She isn't super great with the sippy cup, so do I give her whole cow's milk in a bottle to make sure she is getting enough? How much solid food should I feed her then? I am not in a huge hurry but would like to have her weaned by July as I will be going out of town without her for the first time then. Thanks in advance!

Sassinaglass

Asked by Sassinaglass at 7:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you looked into the benefits of long term nursing? Long bone development really kicks in around 1 1/2 to 3 years, and the best way to ensure that your child is getting optimum nutrition is to breastfeed them.

In countries where it is normal to BF to the age of 3, there are marked reductions in the cases of diseases like heart disease and diabetes EVEN when the countries diet has been "westernized".

Just a thought :-)
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 8:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• well with help with weaning her what i did with my son was just give him his meals in the day and give a sippy cup or just try to occupy her when she wants to nurse my son wanted it the most before his naps and bed time and during the night because we co slept i would just occupy so he forgot about nursing and at night when he tried to eat i would turn him around and rocked him eventually after a couple days he forgot all about nursing it was farely quick it takes about 5 days with the little feedings you are doing is good just take your time and maybe once a week eliminate one feeding out of your schedule can help to just do what feels right for her
    Anonymous

• Great job mama, making it to a year is wonderful! There is a book called The Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning (http://www.amazon.com/Nursing-Mothers-Guide-Weaning/dp/1558320652 ) that can answer all your questions. Go gradually and give baby lots of extra love and attention in other ways during weaning. Remember, after weaning, baby has the same needs, and you'll have to find other ways to meet those needs!

Also you might want to read the book Mothering Your Nursing Toddler, which talks about the benefits and challenges of nursing past a year. Even with going out of town, it is still possible to continue breastfeeding. A good friend of mine got a divorce when she was still nursing her youngest, and was able to continue nursing him even though she had split custody with her ex. That's not to say that it is the right choice for everyone, but just to say that it is possible and can be something that works well for some familie
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 8:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I did not wean at a year, but I'd suggest dropping one nursing session per week until you are done. It seems like that way is easiest on your baby and your body. Congrats on nursing this long, and if you decide that you want to continue until she's done, there are plenty of resources I can direct you toward.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:15 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• *Sigh* I am well aware of the benefits of nursing past 1, and after considerably weighing all of my options feel it is getting around the time where I (for my emotional health and sense of independence) would like to wean. The question posed refers to how this can be done efficiently and in the least disruptive manner, not an open forum to debate my parenting choices.
    Sassinaglass

Answer by Sassinaglass at 10:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Hi, I don't think anyone was bashing your choices. There are a lot of women out there who genuinely don't know that bfing past a year can be beneficial, healthy, and fit into their lifestyle. So I think people just put that out there. I know I did. Like I said, it's not for everyone.
    And if you check the first book link I suggested, it's a book on weaning that will answer your questions more thoroughly than anyone here can. The suggestion of an PP to drop one nursing per week (starting with the one that seems least important to your baby) is a great one. Replace it with healthy food of any kind, or with cuddling, fun times, whatever the need is.
    And keep in mind that she will continue to have the needs that you are now meeting through nursing for nutrition, affection, attention, and connection. As you wean, make sure that she is getting plenty of these from you in other ways. Good luck mama!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Take out one feeding per week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Drop a feeding per week till gone. Replace however you like although cow's milk is off limits till the first birthday.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:03 AM on Apr. 3, 2009