I dont want to be a bad mother...but what if i turn out to be like my parents???

My whole life i was beat...my mom hit me with knives, threw bowls at my sisters and i, hit our heads off stuff and smacked us around soooo bad!!

My 2 other sisters and i all went into foster care because of this...

Im afraid im going to end up being just like my mom...What if i get really angry with my child after she's born..im sooo terrified im going to be like my mom and i dont want to be ANYTHING like her..im just afraid that its going to carry over...

everyone knows im the sweetest person EVER...but when my cat annoys me and bites me, i smack him upside the head (not really hard)

I just really dont want to be a shitty mom!! =[

How can I make sure I wont end up being like my mom??? :'(
P.s. im due April 22nd

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You are soooooo hormonally charged right now. Your thoughts of how you were mothered are coming out because you are going to be a mother. These feelings are intensified by hormones. If you in your heart of hearts know that's not what you want for your child, make it so.....you will be fine. Don't second guess yourself. Love your child. I actually didn't want to be like my father who did nothing and verbally and physically abused my sisters and me. To this day I have not. Your relationship with your child is not the relationship you and mom had. Try to separate that. If you ever want to talk pm me anytime!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• im not trying to be mean, but have you been through counseling? you have to break the cycle. good luck
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• i have had counseling..many years of it...
    Anonymous

• Your feelings are normal because you don't want to fail. I guess I have felt that way right before baby came so I sympathize for you. I smack my dog with a newspaper when she's naughty, but I haven't done it to the kids!lol
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• good. i have been through counseling myself so please dont think im trying to bash or judge you. i also had a difficult childhood. its really a long story that i dont want to talk about publicly but if you want to message me sometime i will fill you in. my point is, you can and im sure will break the cycle. message me anytime you need someone to talk to :) good luck and you will do fine.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2009