Why do people concern themselves with people who are on welfare or people who get help from the government?

It is available to all that may need it. You never know if someday your whole world comes crashing down and you may find yourself needing assistance. You may even need it for a long time coming. It happens to people. Not everyone has the master plan that is fail proof. We are all made with flesh and blood and we all bleed when wounded. whether you are on assistance or not doesn't make you a better person or worse. It makes you human. Humans have needs. Whatever they may be. However long it may be. If your a hard working person that is great for you, just consider yourself blessed that you can work. Consider yourself able and capable and be happy that you can contribute to help the less fortunate . Keep in mind your good deeds may pay off later when you really need it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think you might be misjudging many of the people who are concerned about the Welfare system. When you work hard and your tax dollars pay into something, it is wise to be concerned about it and how your money is being used. First, we vote for our decisions and representatives in this country. We can't make informed votes if we don't know what's going on. Second, people DO need that money. If no one's paying attention and showing concern, how do we know we're providing the BEST help for the MOST amount of people? Lastly, it's important to keep updated on the system BECAUSE we may use it some day. I've spent years paying for it, should I ever need it, I want it to bennefit myself and my family until we get back onto our feet.

I don't think people have a problem with those who are on assistance and NEED it. It's those who have other means of support and find a way to collect assistance as unnecessary "free money."
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I agree with NovemberLove, well said.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Very well said NovemberLove.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• (cont.) Usually when I say this, the response is "well how do you know who is abusing it and who isn't abusing it or if anyone is abusing it at all." I'm a Social Worker, a former ER employee and ER/Hospital financial counselor. I KNOW ok?! Or I can introduce you to my neighbor who is on perminent disability but manages to chop his own wood for one of his 4 fire places and fixes his own roof lol (he's a slip, fall and sue guy too! Niiiiceee!!!).

If people aren't using the system properly, it isn't helping those that DO need it. I am all for helping those in need. I do not, however, like to be leeched off of like a fool when someone has two perfectly good hands and feet to work with just like I do. Is there something wrong with that? I don't think so :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Thank you Susie and Momjoy :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I think because so many people have seen or know someone who has been a complete leech getting help from the system and not trying to get off of it is what makes people concerned. Unfortunately, some people get to thinking everyone who gets assistance is like that, or are garbage, trash, etc. and it can be very hurtful. I get the feeling the op was directed more towards these people. I think the op may have had someone say something negative about someone she cares for or herself who is on assistance. I don't think she was misjudging everyone at all. When you are getting put down for something that is hard to control such as needing assistance, it can feel like everyone is looking down on you.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I think besides the fact that they are nosy. Most of them had never "REALLY" fallen on hard times. They are usually the first ones to bash someone for being on assistance, And are usually the first ones in line at the Gov. office elbowing people in the face if they do find themselves on hard times. People just like to bash other people that are struggling to remind themselves of how good they have it. But most of them will get whats coming to them. They will soon find themselves in the same spot as everyone they have bashed. A lot of people like that have already found that out. God has a funny way of humbling people that need to be humbled. They need to realize not everyone on assistance is abusing the system.
    Anonymous

• I have no problem with people who are on welfare or government assistance if they actually need it. But as a working adult it is MY RIGHT to concern myself with where some of my paycheck is going. Of course there are ppl on welfare that have fallen on hard times and are genuinely trying to get back on their feet, but like everything else, there are those that abuse it...and that's what I have a problem with. I feel like there are not enough restrictions on welfare and that many ppl can slip through the cracks and be put on it when they don't really need it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:04 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• i dont have a problem with it but in the town where i live it seems like the people who are abusing it are moms with 4 or 5 kids. there are families that really need this who have a job and are trying to better themselves not the ones who dont know how to use a condom or keep their legs shut
    Anonymous

• November Love I am in the same boat as you. I see the abuse and the gimme gimme attitude through my job as a counselor. When I have a client whining about not having had a job in years and supposedly being disabled, but yet I am looking at her texting on her Blackberry with her nice manicured nails and all name brand clothes. Give me a freaking break!

I am the first one to refer someone to social services if they need assistance, but I cannot stand to see the system being taken advantage of.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2009