International plane travel with a baby

We are a military family living overseas and we will be traveling soon to the US to visit family and Im trying to decide if we should buy DS a seat or have him as a lap child. Has anyone done a 14+ hour trip with a lap child? If so, how did it go? Would you do it again, or just buy the baby a seat? He will be 9 months old on the way to the US and 10 months old on the way back to our duty station. Either way we will have to bring the carseat with us.

mag12305cmg

Asked by mag12305cmg at 8:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Travel

• Well I havent done it but usually if your traveling with a young kid they will put you in the very front(if your flying economy) and there is a little thing that flips down and they strap a seat on it for the baby....so they can sleep and they arent constantly on your lap. Thta was british airways so I would talk to the airline and and see what they can do for you!
    dairyberrys

Answer by dairyberrys at 2:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Yes, I am a military wife with children, I would suggest getting there own seat for comforablity, for you and the child, it is a long ride. Our daughtere did very well going over sea and coming back, she had her own seat.
    Blesstravelmom

Answer by Blesstravelmom at 7:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I have done 14 hr flights 6 times with toddlers, once with 2 lap children under 2, dh was with me. It really depends on the child and what you can afford.
    If he is under the weight limit for the basinets then I would find out if they have a bulkhead seat available that has a basinet built into the wall. Qantas I know had them. United did not and they just put a small basinet on the floor under my feet and the two guys sitting next to me had to step over my babies head everytime they wanted to get out......
    You have to find out which type of plane you are on etc.
    Good luck with your decision.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 12:51 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• From personal experience I woudl have the xtra seat just fo rthe room!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:40 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• We did it with our daughter on our lap, and it was fine. Not all planes have those bassinets anymore, unfortunately. We didn't have the bulkhead on one flight, but another couple with a baby did, and they gave them a little bed to put on the ground. I think that we flew United, and we flew economy plus, so the only people in our row were my husband and me. That really helped. I have mixed feelings about the bulkhead. They are good because you can put baby on the floor to play/sleep, but you can't store all of your stuff on the floor because there is no seat in front of you, and you have to keep it in the overhead. If you don't buy a seat, when you get to the airport you can ask if there is a row with an empty seat (in economy, the window rows are usually 3 across) that they can put you in and then put a block on the middle seat so that nobody is assigned there. Good luck!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 11:21 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• We flew from China to the US with a 17 month old... we bought a seat and it was the best thing we could have done. There is no way I was holding her the whole trip home. It was great having the extra room for the three of us..
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 12:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• We just came home from China too, a 13 hour flight with a 13 month old. We didn't buy her a seat, but we were in "Premium Economy" seating which helped a lot. A couple of other things helped a lot too: 1) we took an evening flight that left around her bedtime, so she slept through most of the flight, 2) the flight wasn't totally full and the ticketing agent seated my DH and myself at the ends of a three seat row with noone in between. We used a Baby B'Air flight vest, strapped her into the seatbelt for the middle seat, built a little nest of pillows and put her bed. Best of luck to you!
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 9:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2009