I read this in another question and I am curious....

How do you define "homeschooling right"? What is the "right" way to homeschool? Just curious. I am not sure if I am doing it "right" and would like to be so informed by the "experts" on how to homeschool.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• As long as your children are learning, then you're doing it right!! There are SO many different methods to homeschooling...it's not a one-size-fits-all. Who cares HOW they're learning it, as long as it's being learned!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I am no expert, as my kids are publicly schooled. I wouldn't feel qualified to teach my children at home past about middle school. I surely wouldn't do high school, but that is because I am not certain of my own abilities, not because I think homeschooling is "wrong". However, the parents that "homeschool" their children that really just let their children play video games all day are wrong, IMO
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I don't think you have to be an expert to know when a child is being properly educated :-) The signs of a good school (in the home or out of the home)? Exposure to social situations, exposure to life situations, the opportunity to make friends and frequently hang out and enjoy time with other kids your age, learning from knowledgeable instructors, being able to achieve grades and learn material on the appropriate level, proper SAT preparation, proper college preparation, proper real-world and business preparation, an atmosphere conducive to learning, opportunities to lean outside of the classroom (field trips, work-study, internships) and proper discipline and concern for the child's well being so on and so forth.

To me, those are hallmarks of a good school (and "doing it right!") regardless of if it is hybrid, satellite, home, private, boarding or public!

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Do you know how long it actually takes to do schoolwork? Less then 3 hours. Seriously. I make my kids read for the other 3 they are supposed to be in school. Or we do home economics.
    Anonymous

• Meaning: finances, cooking, gardening, sewing ect.
    Anonymous

• Mom1Stepmom1 also has a point. I think a lot of people who are against homeschooling have seen more of the bad side of it than the good. For me, I've only seen the disadvantages to it. I home schooled for a year and did two grades in one year because I was SO freaking bored. A friend of mine homeschooled and missed her friends. We had kids come into my school after years of homeschooling and they had no social grace or classroom decorum (calling out, picking their noses, wedgies, burping...whatever else in public) because "anything went" at home. Another family we were close with homeschooled and their kids played all day. We could drop by ANY time and they never had a lesson or learning materials out.

I just don't think I'm qualified to be a teacher of every subject to my kids. I want them to learn from experts in each field and be exposed to ideas other than just my own. JMHO.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Anon, how is that possible? I did 5 maths, 5 sciences, 6+ english/literatures (and all of the other subjects, including additional ethics, world-view and bible classes) in my 4 years in highschool and skipped my lunch period so that I could fit it all in. We also went longer than the public schools (7:30am-3:30pm).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My kids are not in high school. They are in grade school and middle. They just do the work. No raising hands, worrying about standing in line. We do all the subjects together except Math. My kids each do their own math levels. And I guess I don't count writing, history and reading. We do those together too, but my kids think we do that for fun. So our "official school day" is 3 hours.
    Anonymous

• I think the right way to home school is the way my MIL did with her 3 daughter's. It's something they all wanted to do. They girls all excelled and are ahead of their grade level. They are now in a public highschool and have great study and homework habits. I think homeschool is great so long as both kids and parent's want to do it. I think a lot of the time people who don't know about homeschooling think that the kids are sheltered to the point of total seclusion.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2009