Does anyone here NOT know about extended rear facing?

MOST states have laws to RF to 1 year AND 20lbs...but this is the bare minimum. The AAP newest recommendations is to Rf the carseat your infant is in until age 2......just in case no one knew

tabi_cat1023

Asked by tabi_cat1023 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With what kind of car seat?????until age 2 even if there feet r freaking dangling or are crunched up???reallyyy whateva
    Anonymous

• Is anyone here tired of the government deciding how we should best protect and care for our families? Why should this be mandated? I did NOT keep my daughter rear facing because she was not 20 lbs until she was almost 3. She grew very slowly despite my many complaints to the doctor. (LOL).
    We live in such a controlling society. I do understand that it may be safer but why are we TOLD what to do?
    Anonymous

• There are carseats that rearface to 35lbs and 50inches...thats over 4 feet tall...whats safer legs being sat crosslegged or a broken neck??
    Anonymous

• As if you were in any car accident rear facing or not ur baby is still going to get hurt.NO matter how u put it.When my child is at the recomended age and weight she will sit forward and enjoy the God damn view.Im sick of this rear or not.Enough already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yes cause crosslegged is so comfortable u freaking do it to your child.Thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• wow I didn't mean to cause an issue...I just felt this info should be passed on geez....and whats with the posting Anonymous???
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• GOOD THING MY DAUGHTER IS 2 1/2!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• "As if you were in any car accident rear facing or not ur baby is still going to get hurt.NO matter how u put it" ANON 5:43

Well that's the dumbest answer I've ever seen. If your car seat is installed properly your child should be okay. HOWEVER, some accidents are just so terrible that there is no possible way that anyone can survive. I'd rather make sure my kids are as safe as can be, with properly installed car seats checked out by car seat experts and KNOW that I am doing everything I can to make sure they don't get hurt. Instead of trying to make myself feel better about doing the wrong thing and making stupid comments like that.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Rear facing to the limits of the convertible car seat is the best way to protect your child and give him/her the best chance at surviving any accident. What parent wouldn't want to give their child every possible advantage in the most dangerous situation they are in?

This is not the law. This is a recommendation from every authority and professional on the subject.

Anybody who debates ERF based on legs being cramped, not being able to see, or convenience obviously has no idea the risk they are truly putting their child in. Do some sufficient research first, and then come and talk about it.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 11:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I think its important for parents to realize that they do not have to turn their child forward facing at year, or after they outgrow the infant seat. 1 year and 20lbs has been the minimum standard set forth by car seat manufacturers, and has been the law in most states.

All convertible car seats in the US will rear face to 30, 33, or 35lbs, and there must also be at least 1 inch of hard shell above their heads. You can, and should, keep children RF to those limits of their car seat.

You do not have to get a fancy, expensive car seat in order to do this. The least expensive car seat on the market is the Cosco Scenera, and will RF to 35lbs. The average child can RF to 2-3 years old in that seat.

mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 11:25 AM on Apr. 3, 2009