How to deal with a screaming child while strapping him into his car seat?

My 2 1/2 year old screams bloody murder 90% of the time when i try to put him in the car especially if we are coming off the playground or about to go to daycare in the morning. Today we left the playground and he screamed at the top of his lungs and was thrashing all around and tried to bite me when i was trying to put him in the car. It's so embarassing! I really want to spank the hell out of him but there are people around. What else can I do?

paytonpants54

Asked by paytonpants54 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I read this in a positve discipling book. It might help. An idea to help with leaving the playground would be to give him some warnings that you will be leaving. Carry with you a little timer and set it for like 5-10 min. and tell him when the timer goes off you will leave. Remind him a few times and then when it goes off you leave right away. It might take some working on, but I think if you are consistent it might help. If he is always screaming when you put him in you could try singing some interactive songs or letting him hold onto something special like an extra set of keys. If nothing works try to hang in there it is probably one of those wonderful toddler phases! It will pass at some point!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 8:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Try offering him a toy that he only gets to play with in the car. This way it will still be rather novel and it might distract him more. Also, check to make sure the car seat straps aren't too tight or aren't adjusted properly. It could be that something is uncomfortable about the seat since it happens almost all the time. Good luck!
    Vespa

Answer by Vespa at 11:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2009