So people who make less than $250,00, do they not have to pay the new tax on cigarettes?

The new tax on cigarettes is a federal tax. Obama's exact words on his campaign promise were:
"I can make a firm pledge," he said in Dover, N.H., on Sept. 12. "Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes." He repeatedly vowed "you will not see any of your taxes increase one single dime."
So people who make less than $250,000 a year are exempt from this new tax, right??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• LMAO. I am going to write me senator over this one. Better yet, write Obama himself..liar liar pants on fire
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 8:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Yes, absolutely. By your logic, they shouldn't have to pay the tax. Call the press, call the media, call Bill O'Reily and tell them. Make sure that these poor people don't have to pay taxes on their tobacco products.

Oh but wait. They don't. Nobody HAS to pay the tax. It's very simple. Don't buy tobacco products. There you go. We call off the dogs. Phew, that was a close one.
    Imaginaryfriend

Answer by Imaginaryfriend at 8:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• And the tax wars begin............
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• As if LOL we all know damn well this won't be near the end of it.Dems tax tax tax as always.Anyone who believes only those making that much will pay is kidding themselves.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I have heard alot of ppl that have went thru the roof over this. I imagine the farmers will loose on this one. I know of alot of ppl that plan on quitting and then the farmers will need a bailout too
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 8:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• LMFAO...Imaginaryfriend. I love it!! Thank you...you made me smile!
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• LOL!

You know we have another new tax coming. The "cap & trade" in Obama's budget will cost the average family an additional $3100.00 a year for utility bills. How do you like that new little sneaky tax?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I'm not paying it. I don't smoke. The only people who are paying are people who choose to... by buying cigarettes. So if you don't want to pay it-- don't buy cigarettes!

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 9:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Bingo yourspecial just another sssssssnake
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• And what about the utility tax? Shall we all go without lights, heat, ac, and basic electricity just because it is "optional??"
    Anonymous