My 4 year old son was diagnosed with Aspergers today, what do I do now?

I'm in Ohio

bobbicroft

Asked by bobbicroft at 8:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Hi my son was diagnosed at the age of 8 with aspergers and what i did was be as patient with him as i can and get all the help i can get him. He was diagnosed at the age of 4 with ADHD and i immeditaly got him in with Speech therapist, OT and PT. We have a few programs here that provide help. Here is the name and address of one of them if you would like to contact them for help. It's called Judevine Center for Autism 1101 Olivette Executive Pkwy, St. Louis, MO 63132-3252 the phone number is 314-432-6200 give them a call and see if they might be able to help. Other than that love them and do the best you can to help them and protect them. Best wishes and my prayers are with you.
    redneckbabe143

Answer by redneckbabe143 at 1:34 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Breathe. Buy a sit and spin and a mini trampoline (Seriously.) Breathe again. What level is your child? Mild, severe? Did you talk about OT or PT with the evaluators?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• i would research stuff online and try and search for support groups in the area so you can talk with other parents whos kids has the same diagnosis.
    Anonymous

• Brace yourself.Things are gonna get bumpy!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:56 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• his dr. is checking to see what kind of therapy our insurance covers we have aetna in case anyone can answer that for me, and she just said he has aspergers and said we'd try to get him in with a psych. it was alot of information to take in all at once I had all three of my kids there with me. thanks for the answers ladies I appreciate teh help from all of you.
    bobbicroft

Answer by bobbicroft at 9:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I will message you with some info
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 9:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I am sorry for the level of stress you must be experiencing. There are some very informative groups in cafe mom and some ladies that have gone through what you must be going now.

I am sorry I can't be of much assistance but I can tell you this much. "Question everything" when it comes down to your child's health, no doctor is more qualified then you to get the real story of things.Also breath and keep on breathing even if you have to focus only in the next minute of breathing, your child will need you more than ever so you must remain a rock and be his/her rock even if your heart is broken and hurt. Best luck to you and remember that your child is the same child you loved 5 minutes before you got the diagnostic. Love unconditionally and again question everything.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• there is a group, i live in ohio, that deals with this .
    Im not sure where you live but i can give you the e-mail and you can get ahold of her.
    I have been talking to her and she is where i would start her name is Cheryl and her e-mail is :
    postmaster@thesensoryplayroom.com> and the website is thesensoryplayroom.com both are very helpful.
    My name is Candi if you need anything else.
    dita

Answer by dita at 11:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• First....breathe.

Second...be thankful you got the diagnosis NOW. You can start working on therapies and coping techniques. We didn't figure it out with mine till he was eight, after multiple behavior problems at school and a couple of suspensions from child care.

Third: Read. Do a google search for "Parenting Aspergers." There's a great site run out of the UK with a weekly newsletter that's been very helpful. I also found a book at the library titled "Genius!" about people with Aspergers, whcih was very helpful. Did you know Einstein was probably an Aspie?

There are a few groups here on CafeMom that can also help.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:59 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I would definitely find a center for autism or a psychologist first to be sure! Regular pediatricians are usually not qualified to make a diagnosis. After that... breathe... he is the same child he was before :-) He may just need therapies to help him learn ways to handle life situations. My son doesn't have Asperger's, but has a PDD-NOS diagnosis. It's very similar. My son DID have a severe speech delay and apparently that plays a role in whether they go with a diagnosis of Asperger's or PDD-NOS.

Look into all of the info given. It is a lot, but just take check out the places listed 1 by 1.

Each child with Autism is different, but they have just as good of a chance at leading a very fulfilling life as anyone :-) My son is happy and healthy. He has more challenges than some kids, but he does very well and is successful in school!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 9:49 AM on Apr. 3, 2009