2 year olds and carseat?

Can he be in a booster or does he need to be front facing or what? He's like 27lbs and like 35 inches tall.

lstrickland

Asked by lstrickland at 8:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I've always wondered this too. (Because I remember being 3 and rolling around in the backseat lol) Times have definately changed.

Not really an answer, just a comment.
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 9:34 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I believe carseats till they are 4, 40lbs and 40 inches. My DD is 3, 40lbs and 41 inches. It's a matter of safety and also if you can trust you son to stay sitting and not unbuckle himself.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• At that weight, he could still be RF. If you don't want to extended rear face, he can face forward, but does still need to be in a harness until AT LEAST 4 yrs and 40 lbs, preferably longer.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• He could still be rear facing.
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• He is not ready for a booster. My three year old daughter is the same size. She is in a Graco Nautilus. She will remain in her 5 point harness for a few more years at the rate she's growing.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 10:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• He could be rear facing still if you wanted... until around 33-35 lbs depending on the seat.
    He needs to be in a 5 point harness still even forward facing. If he is forward facing I would get a Graco Nautilus
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• You have to be 40 lbs for a booster seat. Under 40lbs needs to be in a full fledged, 5 point harness car seat.

Rear-facing is safest babies and young children, who would face a greater risk of spinal cord injury in a front-facing car seat during a frontal crash.

Rear-facing car seats spread frontal crash forces over the whole area of a baby's back, head and neck; they also prevent the head from snapping relative to the body in a frontal crash.

Rear-facing car seats may not be quite as effective in a rear end crash, but severe frontal and frontal offset crashes are far more frequent and far more severe than severe rear end crashes.

Rear-facing car seats are NOT a safety risk just because a baby's legs are bent at the knees or because a baby's legs are bent at the knees or because they can touch/kick the vehicle seat.

Rear-facing as long as possible can reduce injury and death.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• he has to be 4 years AND 40 pounds to be in a booster seat. He could still ride rear facing if you liked, and it's safer, until 35 pounds as that is the limit on most rear facing seats but you would have to make sure that he is not too tall. He is too tall for rear facing if there is less than 1 inch of hard shell behind his head.

I am a supporter of extended harnessing, keeping your child harnessed as long as possible. My son is 3, weighs about 37 pounds and is still harnessed in a Graco Nautilis and will be that way as long as he still fits. It will harness to 65 pounds and then becomes a booster up to 100 pounds.

I don't know which seat you have now but a lot of seats on the market only harness to 40 pounds. The ones that harness longer are the Britax Marathon (65 pounds), True Fit (65 pounds), Nautilis, and the Evenflo Triumph (50 pounds). There are a couple more but I'm not familiar with them.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• He should definately be in a car seat with a 5 point harness until he is 4.
    If you are looking for a new seat there are booster seats that will allow a child to be in a 5 point harness until 65 lbs. Britax and a couple of other brands have them.
    Our son is 5 and a half and and still in a 5 point harness. When he outgrows this seat he will go to a harnessed booster.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 1:50 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• 5 point harness until at least 4 AND 4 pounds. keep in mind that this is a bare minimum.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:12 AM on Apr. 3, 2009