Is this normal teenage parenting??

I am a 17 year old twin, with a 22 year old sister who is rarely allowed to drive, despite having her G2. She constantly yells at us and I do not remember the last time I had a meaningful conversation with her. I feel afraid to tell her anything about my life, for fear that she will use it against me later on (she has done that), or make me feel like I'm wrong, which is how she always makes me feel. She also complains to other people alot about us behind our backs. I am not the type of person who drinks or goes to parties or even smokes. All three of us have boyfriends and we all respect our bodies and are not extremely outgoing people. All we ask for most of the time is to go to a boyfriends house to spend time with them. I constantly get grounded for stupid reasons like not cleaning a dish enough or simply responding to her. Is this normal??

Natalie122

Asked by Natalie122 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• why does it say that you arent a cafemom member???
    Anonymous

• i am confused. you are a 17 year old twin with a 22 year old sister? are you a mom? is your sister in charge of you or something? or is your mom having these rules for you, your twin, and you sister? i guess i dont understand the question or the situation
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• this is confusing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• maybe your mom is a perfectionist and controlling. she fears something happening to you and rather have you home where she feels its safe.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 1:33 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• i don't believe so but my mom did the same thing
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:42 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Not normal parenting of a teen. Mom is extremly over-controlling. My mom was like that, but, she also hit and threatened to kill. I no longer talk to her. But, It took me to 31yrs old to get away.
    Anonymous

• Where are your parents? Your sister is barely old enough to take care of herself. Please give us more info so we can try to help you.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• No, that is not normal parenting, honey. That is obsessive controlling. It is going to be tough, but you just need to tough it out with her until you are 18 and you are old enough to make your own decisions. She probably has some deep-seeded jealousy and manipulation issues that you might not be able to help her with and she won't be able to change. You could try sitting her down and having a talk with her. Telling her how you feel and that you are extremely hurt by her behavior. Also that you would like to have a more meaningful relationship with her. I wish you the best of luck with this, but if you can't talk to her, just try to tough it out. Soon you will be old enough to take control of your own lilfe.
    Anonymous