What breed of dog would you reccomend?

Ok so we are looking into getting a dog when we move into our new house. Size isn't really a problem since we will have a big yard. My question is, what kind of dog would you recommend if you have a 3 almost 4 year old in the house?

mommy112005

Asked by mommy112005 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Pets

• Bigger dogs can be more tolerant of young children.  They are able to withstand the roughness of children a lot easier than small breeds.  Small breeds can be nippy and skittish around young children.  I had a St. Bernard that was EXCELLENT with children. 
    Right now I have a Basset and he is great with children of all ages.  Research the breeds that you like to find one that fits best with your family.
    dogbreedinfo.com is a great place to research.  That site has great info on all breeds of dogs (they even have info on TONS of mixed breeds: yorkie-poo, labradoodle, goldendoodle, malti-poo . . . .)
    Good luck.

Anonymous

• I have a collie. She has literally been the best dog in the entire world. She has never been agressive towards anyone and is the friendliest dog you will ever meet. Collie's are natural herding dogs so they are very motherly to their family...almost as though she thinks of us as her herd. Haha. She is very smart too. Also so is 13 years old and is still kickin! I would say a collie but I might have a bias opinion. Goldens are also known to be great family dogs.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• P.S. ppl are always hesitant to get collie's because they think they shed alot and need alot of grooming. Not true! As long as you brush them occasionally you will be fine. And they shed in clumps of fur that you can just pull off of them. Its not like short haired dogs who shed fur that gets everywhere.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I have 2 dogs, 4 horses, 1 cat and some fish and two sons. I have a Jack russell and an Anatolian Sheperd. I had a Rottwieler who passed away a year ago and I had her before the boys were born and the Jack russell my boys are now 6 and 8. I recommend large dogs. Smaller dogs don't tolerate the hard petting and tripping on them like the big ones. It sounds scary and strange but my Rottwieler was the best BEST dog ever with children she was so gentle and kind. My Jack russell is not as trustworthy. Larger dogs usually have less energy than the small ones
    mammasamba

Answer by mammasamba at 9:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Collies are great dogs and very obedient. Dogs are so much work at first but so worth the companship. Nice to have by your side day and night.
    mammasamba

Answer by mammasamba at 9:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I have a beagle shepherd mix............and a four year old. He's on the small side, about 20lbs, but he's calm and loyal and overall really sweet. I'd recommend a lab, golden retriever, beagle, german shepherd...........those are all really good with small children.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• We have a 2 and a 3 yr old and we've decided to get a Goldendoodle. We like big dogs and they tend to get a bit big. We hate dog hair all over and they don't shed, plus they are considered to be hypoallergenic. Even people with allergies to animals can have them without any problems. We have friends who have one and they love it.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2009