What can I do about this!?

There are 3 families on our street who leave their dogs outside all day and night. These dogs do nothing but bark and howl allll night causing my daughter to wake up. Well only one of them wakes her up, its a big hound dog, and he howls so loud and long all night, it eventually wakes her up. Can I call the cops? Or Animal Welfare ppl? It needs to stop. They are REALLY annoying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Pets

• Yes call your city office. There usually are city ordinances for loud dogs that bark. The police will ticket them
    mammasamba

Answer by mammasamba at 9:22 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• In this case I'd call the cops, many times there is a noise ordinance and a barking dog can definitely violate that.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Yes, every cite has a noise ordinance. If the dogs are barking all night you can report it.

Anonymous

• city office!

quiet time in my town is strict, and between 11pm and 7am... see what your town's rules are, maybe drop them a hint if you see them, say something light-hearted such as, "man, he likes to make a lot of noise, doesn't he?" later on, if it continues, ask politely if there's anything he can do to help because he's been waking your DD... if it still continues, call city offices. they'll let the guy know.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• In my city you can call Animal Control and complain. There is a noise ordinance here so the offending neighbor would have to keep the dog from barking between 10pm and 7am. Good luck.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Of course you can call the police and complain.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:35 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• ya call animal control..in our town this guy loves to come out..and i know there are also noise ordencese.between well i dont know about the night but you cant start work in the morning until 700.i know my dog howls but i bring her right in cause my neighbors willcall and i have gotten a sitation about it...
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• As an owner of two dogs, I know about the noise and can understand your problem.
    We have a bulldog, and a basset hound that grunts and moans all day long! He just doesn't know how to be quiet, so I'm thinking that maybe that is something that hounds typically do.
    Anyways, our rescue bulldog is VERY smart and loves to break out of the back yard no matter what you put up to stop him, he finds a way. He loves to just run around the street.And however silly this may sound, we do have a rule about breaking out of the yard, he knows he is not allowed off of our street (we live on a dead end). And if he does, he gets punished.
    But, anyways, more on topic I would NOT call animal control. Maybe the dogs are getting out by themselves, and their owners are too exasperated to chase after them every time they get out. I WOULD talk to them, though. I'm sure they're not intentionally trying to cause anyone discomfort.
    -continued
    LillianG

Answer by LillianG at 6:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• (Sorry I'm blabbing so long!!)
    But like I said, I'm sure it's not intentional. So talk to them before anything else, and let them know that you have a baby at home that can't sleep because of the barking. And they might come up with a new rule. Like another one of ours - absolutely no barking inside unless, of course, it's a warning. And they know they're not allowed to do it. Because dogs are actually pretty smart, so if you could get their owner to train them to be more ... agreeable with the neighborhood, you'd be set to go, and you wouldn't cause any conflict by having someone else's dog put in a pound.
    LillianG

Answer by LillianG at 6:50 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• The only problem with trying to talk them first is that if they are rude enough to leave their dog outside barking all night they probably don't care about your opinion. then when you have to call the animal control for help the neighbors will know it was you and who needs that conflict.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 12:25 AM on Apr. 5, 2009