I'm freaking out here!! (PIOG)

I just found out that my DH, DS and I are moving to Kansas City. We currently live about 200 miles outside of KC. What's the big deal? I've never lived more than 10 miles from my parents, we have an extremely strong relationship and my son is their only grand-baby. I am a recent SAHM so we get to spend a lot of quality time together. I don't know anyone in KC. Our current house is 2000 sq ft. and we'll be downsizing to an apartment less than 1000 sq. ft. It's just all so overwhelming to me now. I think the biggest thing is not being around my mom and dad. They are in their late 60's and 70's and I just want for them to be able to spend as much time as possible with the baby as they can. I sound like a scared 11 year old and that's really how I feel. I'm 35 years old!! Can anyone help shed some light on my situation or have you ever been in a similar situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• I think the economic times are making a bad toll on everyone these days,I'm sorry you have to go through this.. Keep your chin up..
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 9:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Thanks MarGeee. I'm extremely grateful that I am able to stay home for another yr. (hopefully) before I have to return to work and thankfully, he has a job that is taking him to KC. It's just terrifying for me.
    Anonymous

• Thank goodness for internet and phones... you can still talk to your parents all the time.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:35 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• i'm just about 70mi from KC if you need a friend!!!

DS due next thursday too...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• oh, might i add too, i practically grew up here and went to the junior college here in town, so i never had to leave my family either...

DH and I moved to OKC... but I talked him into moving back.

Too bad things haven't gone so hot as for my relationship with my parents since we've been back...

Chin up, it's a good experience! And a life lesson that will show you what's really important!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Just keep in mind that 200 miles is only a little over a 2 hr. drive so if you really wanted you could possibly still see them every weekend. When we moved, we moved 3000 miles away from all our family so we went from seeing them everyday to MAYBE once a year. You might get homesick at first, but it will get easier and it's really not that far!
    Anonymous

• You guys rock!! Thanks! I knew that you would help put it into perspective and yes, it is just about a 2.5 hr. drive.
    Anonymous

• Hang in there. I remember moving to So Cal from NorCal. My dad drove down with me to make the move, then flew home. I stood in the airport and bawled. I was 25 and hadn't lived so far from my family before.

As i worked out...they moved south and we ended up buying a house one mile from them.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:52 AM on Apr. 3, 2009