Religious question, again

If you are a believer would you be comfortable living in a country or world where your religion would be obligatory to everyone, regardless of what they think and even if they think and feel otherwise. No bashing, this a theoretical question, just to discuss "what if" and not bash each other for our beliefs or lack of them.

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 9:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Just to clarify, do you mean a believer in some religious/spiritual path, or do you mean Believer, specifically Christian?
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• No, because it would only be "Lip Serve" to my God and he wants those who love him, by the way I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses (Yeah, Beeky knows it and loves me anyway!!!)
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 9:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• By believer do you mean Christian or.....?
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I would like Christians as well as those who practice other beliefs to think how they would feel if their religion was the "chosen" one for the country, knowing that some people may not think about those or feel the same beliefs. I was wondering about that and would like to see what others, not just Christians think.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 9:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I believe she means imagine your religion, if you have one (or your "relationship" with your god) imposed on every man, woman, child, pet, and houseplant in the United States. Are you (general you) okay with a mandated universal belief as long as it is "your" belief?

If you are, then ask yourself how okay you still are if it's your neighbor's belief, or the guy-down-the- street's imposed on you and everyone else instead?
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• You posted while I was still writing, Bea. :O)
    roachiesmom

• Oh our Brothers and Sisters in other Countries deal with that alot, Hitler didn't like us either that's why JW's were put in Concentration camps during WWII, because they would not go to war for any nation. below is a link to what we deal with in other Nations today,  http://www.jw-media.org/newsroom/index.htm

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• In that case :-) --- Absolutely not... it is part of my religious beliefs that everyone be allowed to seek, express, believe, and practice as they are led. To have a mandated religious practice violates the basic principle of personal, experiential communion with the Divine that is the cornerstone for my religion. It can not be forced.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Thank you, sometimes my English-as-second-language thing kicks in, although I simply cannot shut up in person, in second language!!!!!!!! LisaRose, I know how much prejudice you Guys experience. I think people should be able to differ in terms beliefs, but extermination of any ethnic or religious group, just because "we are right and they are wrong, they are ugly and we are beutiful Arian nation" is simply unacceptable in a civilized world.

My Grandfather experienced that on his own, was in and surived several concentration camps.

BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 9:56 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I think you expressed it very well, Bea. I was really being a little sarcastic in my version because I didn't understand why there was confusion. But some of it could be related to me sitting here doing crafts with nail polish, the fumes, and the headache I'm getting. I think it really says something (not necessarily something good) that when people hear believer, christianity is foremost to the tongue (er, fingers). All the rest are apparently second-class citizens -- well, except us atheists, of course...we aren't worthy of being citizens at all. Just ask Bush, Sr.

Great...playing around in this section just made me forget to go get my free pancakes on Webkinz!!
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 10:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2009