I'm freaking out here!! (PIOG)

I just found out that my DH, DS and I are moving to Kansas City. We currently live about 200 miles outside of KC. What's the big deal? I've never lived more than 10 miles from my parents, we have an extremely strong relationship and my son is their only grand-baby. I am a recent SAHM so we get to spend a lot of quality time together. I don't know anyone in KC. Our current house is 2000 sq ft. and we'll be downsizing to an apartment less than 1000 sq. ft. It's just all so overwhelming to me now. I think the biggest thing is not being around my mom and dad. They are in their late 60's and 70's and I just want for them to be able to spend as much time as possible with the baby as they can. I sound like a scared 11 year old and that's really how I feel. I'm 35 years old!! Can anyone help shed some light on my situation or have you ever been in a similar situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have totally been there. My husband and I moved from our small NC town to a DC suburb for his job. I had a similar relationship with Dh's parents and my mom. It was terrible to leave. For a while when I was up there, I grieved like someone had died. The I pulled myself together and made s few friends. Mostly neighbors. We were 400 miles away from family so just going for a visit was not easy. My 2 friends really helped me thru get thru it. Get you son involved in a playgroup, if he's not in school yet. It makes it easy to meet other mom's as well. it will be hard at first, but once thing settle down a bit, it gets easier. Good Luck to you.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I have always had a close relationship with my parents, too. I have always lived too far away to just drop in. I have three children that are 11, 7, and 2. My two oldest children think that all of their grandparents are the bees knees. The grandparents are just as crazy about them. We talk to the family and even e-mail each other. I would take the boys place that they could play with toys, or I would take them to the park to play. There are other moms that are stay-at-home moms whom are looking for adult conversation and friendship. I have learned that everything works out. Good luck on your move.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:07 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I'm in your situation. It's really hard! Honestly I'd take your circumstances over mine. It sounds like you're only a few hours from your parents still. Less than that if you meet in the middle somewhere. I'm about 800 miles (13 hours) from my hometown and ALL of mine and my hubby's family.

We moved about 3 years ago and it didn't bother me much. Then we had the baby. Now it really is hard. Our parents barely know our son. He doesn't even know who Grandma and Grandpa are. We show him pictures of all of our families, but he's only 18 months and he doesn't get it yet. My mom travels here about 3 times a year. Hubby's parents only once. We usually only make it home for Christmas.

Moving to a new place is hard. Not knowing a soul is really depressing sometimes. Church is usually a good place to meet people if you go. That helped us make friends fast! Wish I could be more help. It just takes time.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 3, 2009