I'm 14 weeks and my first doctor visit is scheduled on the 17. I was wondering what to expect the nurse was kind of vauge on the phone. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• To be honest, and not to disappoint you, don't expect much. They will probably listen to the heartbeat. Do some feeling around on your tummy. That's about it. They may do some more things but if you're worried about a pelvic exam, that usually doesn't come until later.
    VBeachMommy

Answer by VBeachMommy at 9:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• If it's your first appointment you will probably get blood drawn, a urine sample taken, a pap smear type exam, listen for the heartbeat, possible ultrasound and maybe a script for prenatals.

It is different for every doctor.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• they will give u a test to make sure your pregnant im sure..and they might do an internal but maybe not bc ur already 14 weeks...and they might schedule u for a 20 week ultra sound! (thats when they will determine the sex) they will check ur blood pressure make you give a urine sample and like beach mommy said listen for the heartbeat...ur lucky cos i had to wait forever for all that...i found out at 4 weeks!! and give u a normal checkup almost every time u go in. Good luck and congrats :)
    stylinmomma88

Answer by stylinmomma88 at 9:35 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• At the first prenatal appt in my area all they do is paperwork. The second one, usually a couple weeks later, is bloodwork, pelvic exam, limited ultrasound( to check for heartbeat and make sure the pregnancy is not tubal). Every medical center and OB does something different though so just expect everything because you never know.
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 9:35 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Also, does you doc have a website? Mine does and it lists what to expect at every visit.
    VBeachMommy

Answer by VBeachMommy at 9:35 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Blood draw to check your blood type, for some STDs, if you have antibodies to rubella, etc. Urine test to check for proteins in your pee. Weight, blood pressure, might measure your belly. Internal exam to do a Pap smear and swab to check for infection and a couple other STDs that the blood test won't show. They may want to do a a screen for Down's and other things; you can refuse this if you want, it has a very high false positive rate and often causes more stress than it helps. S/he might want to do an ultrasound, which you can also refuse if you want.
    You should take with you a list of questions about birth in general, and specific things like their C-section rate, their episiotomy rate, and talk to the dr about your feelings about epidural, waterbirth, etc, to make sure you're both on the same page! Is he a take-charge kind of OB? Or laid back? Different women want something different, make sure he's the right guy for you.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• At my first appointment they did blood work, weight check, urine test, blood pressure and a pap smear. She also used the doppler but couldn't hear the heartbeat, but I wasn't quite 7 weeks then. She estimated I was at 10 weeks. She scheduled me for an ultrasound for the next week to confirm the due date, which was then changed to 3 weeks later.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2009