I got $80 extra this month on my foodstamps, what should I do?

I'm suppost to get $551 monthly, I signed up last month, and I got $631 instead..What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just call your case worker and make sure there was no mistake because if there was and you spend it, you'll have to pay it back when the error is caught.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 9:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• That was just a proration for last month and this month. Anon 9:28 I know plenty of people who get foodstamps who has jobs. Also students with no kids who go to school fulltime and have a job get foodstamps also.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• you rock

Thanks anon!!!! Love that answer!!!

kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• uh well let see my husband is laid off and so am i and im pregnant and we get unemployment and we only get 84 a month in foodstamps and we go hungry so uh do i have a reason to be upset I THINK SO!! the system is sooo crooked
    Anonymous

• Yea I agree with one of the other posters. Its a prorated amount. The same thing happened to me. I get 463 a month and the first time I got it the amount was somewhere around 530. So that's normal but if you want to double check you can always call and ask. Have a good night.
    Anonymous

• And for the record, I have a full time job.
    Anonymous

• well then u must have like 5 kids or make minimum wage.
    Anonymous

• Wow really harsh answers "ladies"
    I would also assume it was a pro-rated amount from the previous month but would call to check. It would totally suck if you had to pay it back due to a computer glitch or something.
    AligirlP

Answer by AligirlP at 9:56 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• The only reason I was asking, is I just wanted to make sure they didn't do a mistake. For the people that are having neg answers I only have 2 kids, and no I'm not having anymore. I never got food stamps. I'm not working, but go to school full time,and my husbands income has went down so much. Also we live in Los Angeles, our rent alone is 900.
    Anonymous

• Foodstamps went up this month to help with the rising cost of food. Spend wisely, stock up on nonperishables.

To all the rude ladies, don't be so quick to judge, you could be in the same situation at anytime. I work and go to school, pay taxes and get foodstamps and I won't let you or anyone else badmouth anyone that is doing what they need to to feed their families. If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your freakin mouths shut!!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 2, 2009