rice cereal

How long does my dd need rice cereal? She's formula fed right now so she gets iron from the formula. She is 7 months old. She's on pretty much all the fruits and veggies at this point. Barley makes her gassy and oatmeal just doesn't agree with her.

VBeachMommy

Asked by VBeachMommy at 9:29 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your baby is eating 'regular' food, then there's no need for the cereal. Rice, oatmeal & barley cereal is just made for babies to get an introduction to solids. Beyond that, its pointless and doesn't have a ton of nutritional value.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 11:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• wow, my dd is 8 months and on rice cereal and i mix the baby food in there. babies don't actually need food until they're one, all they really need is the formula. i'd keep her on the rice cereal until she's one, or ask the doc, she may not need it now.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• She doesnt have to be on rice cereal. If she is eating other things and she's seems borde with it I would just drop it maybe for a few weeks and then give it to her again.. And just continue that. My son is the same age he can eat oatmeal so that is what I feed him but there are days he goes with out it and is just fine.So at this point it's really up to you.
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My ds gave up cereal a while ago. He's 9mo and we give him cereal every once in a while but he prefers the jars of baby food. If your child is able to sit with support, they can eat Stage 1 baby food. Ds loves to eat dinner rolls and Cheerios too! :-)
    wirelessbubbles

Answer by wirelessbubbles at 10:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• If you are looking for suggestions for breakfast food, have you tried cream of wheat?
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• You can drop the cereal now if you want.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:49 AM on Apr. 3, 2009