My daughter just turned one and is putting her finger up her nose. How do I get her to stop doing this?

She's not really picking it, but just sticking her finger up there. She also sometimes puts a finger in each nostril. As she's doing this she looks at me or my parents and smiles at us. I guess she thinks it's funny. I am a first time parent and I am unsure how to handle this correctly. Telling her no is not helping and I believe if I ignore her that she will keep doing it. Please try to help me. I will take any advice anyone can give. Thank you.

hahnj2

Asked by hahnj2 at 9:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a hole, and fingers go in holes. Ahhh my dear, it is a battle never won!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• it's kinda the same as me taking my kids thumb out their mouth. just take her fingers out her nose, and tell her not to do that. just be consistant about it. i did the thumb thing since birth, and neither of them do it. i honestly didn't even have to do it for my dd. if she had her thumb in her mouth and my ds saw it, he would take it out and say "no" lol. my dd is now sticking her finger in her nose (my ds never did it) and i'm doing that now. GL
    Anonymous

• Really common, mama! Take her to the bathroom and say, "That's for the bathroom." Hand her a tissue and say, "Use tissue!" Every single time, gently physically take her to the bathroom, and hand her a tissue, while patiently reminding her "In the bathroom. Use a tissue!" It will take a while of you repeating this (whatever you choose to teach her) over and over, because at a year old you have to lay down those neural pathways by repeating and repeating... each time you do it you make the connection a bit stronger. Eventually she will know to go to the bathroom and use a tissue to pick her nose, and that means she'll only do it when she really needs to.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I think all kids do that....just tell it is yucky~ gross her out or something~ and give her a tissue. She might be doing it to get a reaction too, ingore it and see if she stops. My kids would do it and step right in front of me smiling while the finger was shoved up there! lol Once I ingored it they stopped.
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 10:15 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• ditto what the other moms have said.
    electricblue

Answer by electricblue at 10:23 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• It doesn't stop until they find boyfriend/girlfriends.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• If you ignore it she will stop. My son was even worse he would pick his nose and put his finger in his mouth. he thought it was funny, we just ignored it and well he doesn't do it anymore.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 8:13 AM on Apr. 3, 2009