What I walked into at my sons daycare today....how would you handle this?

My son who is only 3, goes to a home daycare in the small town that I live in, I went to pick him up today and could see him through the door. He was alone in the living room, the door was not even locked so I was able to walk right in...I got his shoes on him and his jacket, while I was doing this he yelled to his babysitter 2 times that he was leaving and she never answered. I am not sure where she had been but after about 5 minutes she finally came into the room. This is a liscensed daycare provider and I have known her since I was a teenager, this is the last thing I would have expected. What if he had been yelling for help, what if I was not the one who had came to the door, All I can think is that I saw him when I left and that could have been the last time because of her carelessness. I am pulling him out of daycare, what else would you do if you were me?

jordanmarie2000

Asked by jordanmarie2000 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would defiantly be finding a new place. That sounds horrible.I am sorry you had to go threw it :(
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 10:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Wow what was she doing? Anywhere in my house you can hear someone yelling! yeah, I would definitely find someone else. If she is certified and running a business from her house and has daycare for other kids as well, I would call somebody about her not being attentive.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I am also an in home daycare provider and this is out of the question for leaving a child unattended for any amount of time, anything could have gone wrong you are right for pulling him out i don't blame you one bit I'd also report her to child services or the child care association, sorry this happened i just hate it when day cares like that give us a bad name.
    WhatevaItTakes

Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 10:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I would even go as far as reporting the provider. To the child care administration. That is uncalled for...did she even give an excuse when she came back to the room?? Did she know that you were upset??
    Anonymous

• I would definitely take him out. And call the proper people to complain so that other kids dont get hurt with her lack of attention.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I agree with all the above.
    Anonymous

• this happened at my childs daycare too, since my son wasnt the only one there (5 other children) I bit my tounge. But since he was alone, this is uncalled for. report her.
    three-for-now

Answer by three-for-now at 10:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I think you should report the incident too. You would actually be doing a service to her, she clearly needs some sort of warning that her practices are not safe. She will not get shut down, she'll get cited and it will go into her file. I think it's the right thing to do.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• the in home daycare that my SKs use to go to is a family friend. if she was in the other room when i walked in (which did happen every once in a while), i didn't freak out about it. however she could always hear when someone came in, or said something. she was in and out and about the different rooms.

obviously if you were that upset about it, then taking him out is the proper thing to do. if you feel she was really endangering the children, then i guess report her. i have a hard time being really hard on this person since i wasn't there. also, the in home daycare provider that i know lives in the country as well. that my have a bearing on the situation as well.
    Anonymous

• I would have taken my son--just to see how long it took her to call me and say he was missing, and he would never go back there again, even if I had to takea couple days off work to find new daycare. I would also report her. If you don't, how will you feel if a child goes missing from there in a couple of years?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:53 PM on Apr. 2, 2009