• In the Spotlight:

When a baby starts teething, do they scream when you try to breastfeed them?

My son (4 mos) just started throwing fits this week. Usually, I can always breastfeed him when he is fussy and he will either calm down or fall asleep. This week, he has been really grouchy. He has had several "fits" which I define as times when I try to breastfeed him and he screams. He seems to actually scream louder when I try to feed him. No temperature. I think he might be teething. Today he was screaming, I tried to breastfeed him and he only screamed louder. I gave him tylenol, teething tablets, oragel, and gas drops because he was so upset. I felt terrible that I could not help him. Then I gave him a bottle of pumped BM and that helped. He slowly calmed down. Then we played and then I tried to nurse him to sleep. He smiled and played while nursing. Is this normal during teething? If so, how do you pump enough to only give bottles? (I already have a borderline supply isse and am on Reglan). Any advice?

KatieOwen

Asked by KatieOwen at 10:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With my two kids teething didn't effect them and breastfeeding. It effected me a bit when they started to discover what teeth can be used for!!Maybe try diffrent positions... i wish i could be of more help...just stick with it, this too shall pass.
    electricblue

Answer by electricblue at 10:15 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My little girl does that sometimes. She is 3 months old and teething too. If she is in a pain fit from teething, she will NOT eat, from the breast or bottle. On her bad days, she eats a lot less than normal. I think it is to be expected to skip a meal or two, or to just eat less when they're teething. Good luck, honey!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2009