Weaning and engorged....HELP!

My baby girl is about 3 1/2 months old. When I first got my milk in, I was a fountain 24/7 lol. But my milk supply for some reason dwindled to less and less milk to the point where I have only been able to breastfeed for about 1-2 meals a day for the past couple of weeks. If I try to squeeze in a 3rd meal, I get nothing. Well I have to go on a med that I can't breastfeed on, so I decided that I would wean. It hasn't been difficut, she is adjusting well. It's been 3 days w/o any breastfeeding or expressing, and suddenly today I am suddenly engorged and in LOTS of pain. UGH, what can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my OB says just ice, bind them really tightly, and take advil. He says there is not much more you can do to dry up your milk. I was only able to breast feed for a very short time and it hurt really bad after I stopped and what my doc said helped out lots. It took about 3 days for the pain to become managable.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:00 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• it does that right before it dries up, get a piece of lettuce and put it in your bra(no joke) it sooths it, or maybe wet a paper towel and put it in your bra
    WhatevaItTakes

Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 10:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• buy head of cabbage and put a few of the leaves over your bare breasts. Put your bra back on and do this several times a day. Something in the cabbage helps. I have 4 babies and i swear it works.
    brees3

Answer by brees3 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• How long will I be engorged and in pain before it stops? Considering today is day 1 of the engorgement.
    Anonymous

• Cabbage leaves works or you can get a damp cloth and heat it up as hot as you can stand it and press it against your breast and I guarantee that milk will come pouring out.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:22 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Break the "veins" in cold cabbage leaves and place them in your bra. do this for a couple days and it will help.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• You could be engorged for a few more days.

But...check your med on the Lact-Med database (google it). Might be that the med is perfectly safe while nursing. Most *are.* The package inserts cannot be trusted (written by lawyers), and docs and pharmacists generally dont' have enough training in the area. Lact-Med is published by the National Institutes of Health and is a great resource.

As to dwindling supply...there's a sticky post over on the Resources Forum of the Breastfeeding Moms group that tells you how to know whether your supply is low. You might want to check it out.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:46 AM on Apr. 3, 2009