advice on how to get rid of diaper rash?

my baby is 7 months old and has had a diaper rash about a week now and it just keeps getting worse. i have tried balmex and baby powder but neither is working. any advice on the subject?

mommykimsey

Asked by mommykimsey at 10:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try A&D ointment it works great on rashes and burns ...
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 10:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• It could be a yeast infection. Call the pedi. You may have to go in. If it is they will give a script. If they do that ask for a sample because it's a lot of money.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• like christine said it could be a yeast infection. But for diaper rash i swear by washcloths with water instead of wipes let it air dry, and then alot of vaseline. My son had bad diaper rash i did that and it went away the next day.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 10:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• YES! I agree with some of the PP's. My son had a horrendous rash about a month ago when he was sick and on antibiotics. This is what the doctor told me to do and it worked like a charm . . . use a sports bottle (or bottle that they sent home w/you for cleansing right after you delivered). Mix a little, little bit of baby shampoo with water and use that instead of any type of wipe. Let air dry. Don't pat it, don't rub it, don't use anything but air to dry it. Let him/her run around for a little while w/o a diaper if you can to let it breathe and dry completely. I did that and also blew on his bottom area while he was on the changing table (sounds weird unless you're a mom). When it is ENTIRELY dry, use vaseline or Butt Paste and then diaper. It is time consuming but it helps their little bottoms. Call your ped. too because it could turn into a yeast infection and you just can't let that go. Best of luck to you!
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 10:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• We have had several rashes. My 5 week old has super sensitve skin like me. We changed wipes to the Earth's Best and that really helped. If the rash is just a red rash we use the Butt Paste (its what my doctor told us to use). By the next morning its gone. Then she had this pimple like rash around her hole and doctor told us to use A&D ointment. Its been 2 days and its about 90% gone. Good Luck.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• def. try butt paste or A&D..ive used butt paste more than the other and its worked wonders..but def let babys lil bum air dry first
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• If it is a yeast infection you can buy Lotrimin or Monistat cream ( vulvar cream) and mix it with a Zinc based diaper cream and apply to every diaper change and then one extra day. Let babies butt air dry completely before applying cream and a diaper. We happen to get these regularly because my LO sleeps 12-14 hours and I don't believe in waking a sleeping baby to change her diaper. If she is out I let her sleep and just put plastic pants on over the diaper. Any how give some of the above suggestions a shot and see if they help.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• A&D ointment....works quickly. I put some on my finger tips rub it together and try not to drag it along babies irritated skin.
    ProudMom9107

Answer by ProudMom9107 at 2:17 AM on Apr. 3, 2009