when should i take away his pacifier?

at what age should i get my lil one use to not wanting his paci.? he is now 5 months and 1 week.

beachbabewdj08

Asked by beachbabewdj08 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• By a year old.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Give it to him as much as he'll take it, and he'll spit it out in time and not want it anymore.

Answer by Bmat at 10:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• i agree w mom2just1..but i took mine away at 10 months cold turkey
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:04 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• thank you all 4 yalls help
    beachbabewdj08

Answer by beachbabewdj08 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• We took ours away cold turkey at 5 mos, but if it fell out of her mouth she would wake up and we ALL needed sleep. It should be gone by the time he is one but sometimes kids self ween. A good place to start is only doing it at bed time or nap time and slowly weaning that way. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Please don't let your child decide when they're going to not want it anymore! My son is almost THREE and to lose the nuk is like losing an arm! He can only settly down after fussing, sleep & relax with that damn thing in his mouth! I'm not even sure when I'm going to take it away from my own kid! My best friend took her daughter's pacifier away at 4 or 5 months. She had a hard first week, but its not an issue at all; her daughter learned how to self-soothe. I think the best time to get rid of anything that stays in a baby's mouth for an extended amount of time is at one year, but sooner if you can.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 11:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I would take it away by 1 year. I would also keep it in his crib... only for sleeping.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Waylen never really took one, but he was done with it by 8 months. Wean lil Wes from it. Like only give it to him certain times. But if he seems like he doesn't really care one way or another if he has it, I'd just take it away. I have a friend whose kid is 2 and still constanly has a paci..don't let him be like that!!
    WaylensMommy

Answer by WaylensMommy at 7:00 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• P.s. I love you!!!
    WaylensMommy

Answer by WaylensMommy at 7:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2009