Anyone know of good reads on finding your spiritual self or path?

For a while know, I have been at a loss in the spiritual area. Raised as a christian, but I don't exactly believe all the preaching. I am a morally good person. I just want to find myself spiritually. I was wondering if anyone has felt lost and how they found their way. Any advise or good books that helped them out?

DeannaR4

Asked by DeannaR4 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• World Religions by Huston Smith was GREAT! I have a whole collection of world religion books, but that was one of my favorites. I would personally recommend doing a lot of personal study of each of the religions in general, and then whichever you seem more inclined to specifically. Its best to be knowledgeable of the history/development/etc of whatever it is you're subscribing to, as well as being a good idea to understand the differences and similarities between the religions of the world - comparative religion is a great idea, and even if you choose one over the others, it can help you to be stronger in what you believe to understand how it fits in with the beliefs of the rest of the world in relation to that. You might want to check out a couple of religious groups here, too - maybe not debate, but there are discussion groups like this that might be helpful...

bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:52 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• the Alchemist , I thought was wonderfull!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I pretty much just stick with the Bible.
    But I have been told "The Purpose Driven Life" is good.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:22 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• There were several that helped me! Check these titles out at Amazon to see if they are of interest to you!

Matthew Fox's One River, Many Wells

Why Christianity Must Change or Die by John Shelby Spong

The Feminine Face of God by Anderson and Hopkins

World Religions by Huston Smith 

The River of God by Gregory Riley

Misquoting Jesus by Bart Ehrman

Going Home: Jesus and Buddha as Brothers by Thich Nhat Hanh

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Honestly, I stopped going to church and started praying and reading scripture. For me Christianity is really all about a relationship with Jesus and not a specific religion.
    Deb_Jones

Answer by Deb_Jones at 7:13 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• unChristian (Christian)

anything by Max Lucado or Joyce Meyer (Christian)

Finding and exploring your spiritual path by Ram Dass (multi-faith)

Book of Shadows by Phyllis Curott (Pagan/Wiccan)

And you can go on Amazon and do a search on "Religion" and it will take you to the page with a TON of books on world religion.

Good luck finding your path!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Just start reading everything you can get your hands on about any religion. I started doing that and I have found that I don't fit anywhere really, but I do attend a local Unitarian Universalist church occasionally. That would also be a good place to look for information too if you have one nearby.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:25 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• "The Pilgrims Progress" is a great book by John Bunyan, I recommend that every Christian read this book. It is about a character named "Christian " and his journey to the celestial city. You can go here and get an idea of the book:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pilgrim's_Progress

You can go here to read John Bunyan's bio, very interesting.
    http://www.ccel.org/b/bunyan

It is also on DVD, but I got so much more out of the book, the characters that he meets on the way, you will relate to. Really read this book.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I have read several different books but in all honesty prayer will bring you closer to God. Have you read The Shack? It is an awesome book! It just sort of opened my eyes to what I was thinking about God and how wrong I was in some areas.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 10:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• what's most important is to remember that you don't need to make your beliefs fit any set "standard". you need to find the best fit for what you believe. even if that means you find that you relate to more than one religion, or even none at all, what's important is YOUR beliefs and YOUR individual relationship with God. don't worry about fitting in anywhere, be true to yourself and your beliefs. He doesn't care about how you relate to Him, just that you do! He wants a relationship with you, and as long as your heart is open to Him that's all that matters. but don't believe anything you don't honestly believe, something you're not honestly convicted with, you know?
    its really all about the relationship, and not so much about the religion.
    best of luck!
    =D
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 3, 2009