at waht age do i talk to my son about sex

Iam a single mother and i here alot about kids yunger and yunger haveing sex and my son is 10 1/2 and i dont know when i should talk to him about sex i think he is to yung but what is to yung now adays????

Drgndame

Asked by Drgndame at 11:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• We have been talking to our nine year old son about sex for about three years...when I got pregnant with my second son. I think that he is probably old enough.
    We first got the book "where do I come from" and just left it around the house for him to look at. After about a week we were sure he had read it, we asked if he had any questions about the book and answered his questions.
    Now that book is probably a little young for your son at age 10, But there are a lot of books about puberty that would be more age appropriate.
    Just let him read it first and then go over the key points that you think are pertinent.
    The most important thing is to keep the lines of communication open...he need to be able to trust you with any questions he may have now and later down the road.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:16 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• This is a hard conversation....but the sooner the better. there are definately some good books to help you explain it, as well as books for him to keep as a reference because he probably won't ask questions.  http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html  Click on the Pubert/Birds & Bees link.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 1:25 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I'm used to answer this question from a mother-daughter perspective but it's pretty much the same. First, start asap... they grow up quick!! I always suggest you start of slow - you can ask him indirectly what he knows by asking if his friends talk about sex? What do the boys say? The girls? (You will probably be surprised how much he has heard)... from there you can correct or add to his information. Be sure to be calm (most of us are surprised about what goes around the schoolyard!) and let him know he can always ask you questions, etc.

And I typically try to come back to the subject every now and then. If you see something about Aids or pregnancy on the TV, then bring it up then. You can also ask him what he thinks about dating, and set some limits. You also might want to talk about 'sexting' and make sure he knows it's not acceptable to send, take or be in 'sexy' conversations or photos.

PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 7:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• He's not too young at all. We started sex ed in school when I was that age and I remember almost everyone knowing the basics already anyway. My 3 year old know the absolute basics e.g. sex is something grown ups do in bed and that's how babies are made.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:14 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• We started talking about it when our kids were around 5...dog had puppies and that started the conversation. We kept it age appropriate and didn't get TOO detailed that early but its never too soon. BETTER to have the right facts than to learn about it on the school bus where who knows WHAT they will learn. There are books available to help (check local teacher's store for sex ed. books) and just keep it light and let him know you are there if he has questions.
    tiggerrrt

Answer by tiggerrrt at 10:57 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• well speaking from experment i didn't talk to my son about sex till i found out he was having sex. he was 10 yrs. old when he first had sex. now he is 14 and still having sex behind my back. i started talking to my daughter about sex when she was 8 1/2 and now she is 12 and still a virgin so far. she has came to me and talked about birth control, just in case so she would be safe. i told her she was way too young for sex and she has the rest of her life for now just be a kid.
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• TO DRGNDAME I WAS WATCHING TV THE OTHER DAY AND THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT LOWERING THE AGE FOR THE MORNING AFTER PILL AND ABOUT TALKING TO YOUR KIDS ABOUT SEX.THEY SAID NOT TO WAIT TILL YOUR KIDS ARE 16YRS. OLD TO TALK ABOUT IT. THAT THE SOONER THE BETTER AND THE AGE MENTIONED WAS 9YRS.OLD. KIDS NEED TO BE AWARE AND UNDERSTAND THE CONSEQUINCES THAT COME WITH SEX. STD'S TEEN PREGNANCY.BUT CHILDREN NEED TO BE EDUCATED AND WHO BETTER TO TEACH THEM THAN US. AND ALSO TO PRACTICE SAFE SEX OR ABSTINENCE.
    hellokitty27

Answer by hellokitty27 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Before you teach your son about sex, teach yourself how to spell. He won't respect your opinion if you don't know how to communicate correctly, whether through speaking, writing, spelling. yung? It is spelled young! Waht =what, to =too, here= hear.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on Apr. 4, 2009