To all the women who DID NOT have pain relief during labour...

Why did you choose to go without pain relief.

Because, you couldn't pay me not to have any pain relief.

I just want to know why you chose not to.

I personally intend to have the legal limit of drugs available to me.

mum-to-be-at-18

Asked by mum-to-be-at-18 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I did not choose to because my first baby came too fast but I am right there with ya babe.....I wanted drugs but they just didn't have time. It is true that over time you "forget" how bad it was because of the joy of the baby, but if my 2nd one was natural (scheduled c-section) I would have been there sooner to get the drugs!!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I asked for mine too late because well....I thought it was supposed to hurt. lol, It burned more then like a stabbing pain I always thought it would feel like. I guess everyone has different pain thresholds.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I didn't want it because I had a bad experience with an epidural when my first was born. It was turned off around 30 minutes before it came time to push, but the thing didn't wear off for 12+ hours after he was born. During that time I was stuck in bed unable to get up to do anything because of it.

I researched like crazy during my second pregnancy because I was determined not to go through that again. Started finding out some info that sealed the deal. When I developed severe pre-e and had to be put on hospital bedrest, it made me more determined to not have any risk of drugs crossing the placenta for a baby that was already going to be born having to fight.

I don't regret it one bit. If I ever have another, I intend to go natural now that I know I can do it and live through it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• The first time I asked for it too late. Then with the other two I knew I could do it without pain meds. It is only a few hours of bad pain at the most...considering how many hours you live in your life. I think that it is not that bad for something so wonderful.

Also, I am terrified of the side effects of having an epidural: i.e. increased risk for assisted delivery w/ suction pump/forceps, epidural headache, inability to progress leading to c-section.

I wanted to avoid any and all of those things so I went natural. It really wasn't as bad as I had imagined it would be and now I have three completely healthy boys who were not drugged up when they were born.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I have had three children and have never had an epi. I just wanted to experience my births as naturally as possible. My mom would always tell me about my delivery- she had a complicated breech birth without any meds. It was obviously difficult but her story was so compelling. One of my co-workers told me about her births with epi and what she remembered most was what was on tv and playing cards with her dh. Out of those two stories, I wanted the 'warrior' story that my mom told. Yes, giving birth is painful, but it is 'natural' pain- it hurt but I did not feel it was hurting me in any way or I couldn't take it. It was such a great experience and I would not change a thing, if I had another child I would go natural again. I also think there is a distinction between 'no meds' and 'no relief'- there are non-medical ways to handle pain too. It's not 'epi vs. total misery,' there is some middle ground!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I decided to give it a try. If the pain was too bad, I could always ask for drugs with the exception of it being too late. I made it through both births drug free. Though I cant say I didn't think about it. lol.
    cherrygirl87

Answer by cherrygirl87 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I think I must have been crazy. That's the ONLY reason I can think of.
    Next time I'm getting drugged. =P
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 11:51 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I just wanted the whole experience, every part of it. I feel that there's a certain altered mental state of birth that only happens without pain meds, and there is a certain cascade of hormones that contribute to the amazingness of birthing and welcoming a baby into the world. Also, the side effects and the possible cascade of interventions that so often follows epidurals was something I would avoid at pretty much any cost. I find doing it naturally to be so rewarding that I can't imagine not having that experience.

Plus I homebirth, so there's not too much option for epis or narcotics..... if I were giving birth in a hospital it might be so hard to get in the right head-space that who knows? Maybe even with the knowledge of the risks I would need an epidural. I can't imagine birthing in a hospital - I might need all the drugs they had.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:00 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I knew that it is what women are meant to do. I wanted the whole natural birth for myself and for my child. I thought that it would be empowering and would help me connect with myself and my inner goddess. That sounds silly, but that is what it did, I would do it again.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 12:24 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Honestly, my son was crowning in the car on the way to the hospital...so I didn't have much of a choice! lol. I was up there earlier that day and was told it was false labor and to go home and sleep it out and if it got too bad a warm shower could fix it. Nope! Warm shower made it worse and I had to crawl to get hubby saying not so lady-like things along the way. lmao! It was worth it. And with the next one I may just try to go med free again since I know I can do it and there are less risks.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:47 AM on Apr. 3, 2009