calorie consumption

Okay, with my last daughter I didn't gain any excess weight while pregnant...it was all baby and I went back to my regular clothes about a week after giving birth. Unfortunately, my regular clothes are still a few sizes bigger than I'd like. lol. So anywho, I started a diet, only now I MIGHT be pregnant. They say you only need 300 extra calories for pregnancy...but is that 300 calories more than what you ARE eating are 300 more than what you SHOULD be eating. I'm thinking so many women gain so much weight because they eat more than they were eating, but were probably eating too much to begin with. So... if I am pregnant, would it be okay to continue eating the way I have been while "dieting"? I don't even count calories, I just try and load up on veggies and protein instead of junk and eat healthy. Juicing. Organic. All that. I am losing weight...so since it's healthier, what would be the harm so long as I get enough vitamins?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think it's what you ARE eating.. I am still not eating the reccomended 2000 calories, but I was barely eating 1200 before I got pregnant, I now eat anywhere from 1400-1700..it depends on morning sickness and hunger..
    Anonymous

• I would look into some lists that tell you exactly how many servings you need to have of the important things and go off that. I still can not keep up with all the foods they are expecting me to eat, but I haven't gained any weight at all either (I am only 14 weeks). I don't count calories, I just try to eat well and I think that's fine.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 11:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't worry too much about counting calories because really who does that? I have a degree in nutrition and I dont do that. =) Eat when you're hungry and make healthy choices. Try to get 2-3 servings of dairy, 3-5 of fruits and veggies, 8-10 whole grains and some protein every day.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• stop counting calories and make good food choices. Get a good amount of protein.

It's 300 calories more than what you need to maintain your weight, though.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:18 AM on Apr. 3, 2009