How come? Gifted?

I put my son in a preschool last year. Since then I have met a lot of moms that think their child is special or gifted. Why is that? All but one of them were normal. Is it normal for moms to think their child is "so much smarter" "gifted" "ahead of his age" even though they are the same as all the other kids?

I admit I've pulled the "isn't he so smart?" line once or twice but I don't think my son is gifted just because he knows what a pentagon is. Heck my neighbor taught him the quadratic equation song and he sings it. But it's not like he knows the quadratic equation.

EarthMama05

Asked by EarthMama05 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Think of a newborn baby...Most of them are not that cute, that often make disgusting smells, they cry a lot, are wholly dependent on us, and occassionally one will vomit on your favorite sweater. Why would we not leave these loathsome critters in the woods to fend for themselves? Why is it that we look at them with a twinkle in our eye and unending love in our hearts? We are biologically progammed to, for the continuance of humankind. A side effect of this? We see our beautiful little snowflakes, in a sea of other beautiful little snowflakes as uniquely different, singularly beautiful. What may sound to me like my friend's son singing a song about poop, is to my friend artistic genius streaming from the mind and mouth of her little John Lennon.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 2:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• lol, youre right about this. I think most moms think their child is better looking, smarter, superior in every way. I dont know, maybe its just built into us or something. I'm not gonna lie and say I'm not guilty of it. DD is only 6 months but she's the smartest and cutest 6 month old I know!! lol
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• because were moms and anyone says they haven't is LYING! lol
    dita

Answer by dita at 11:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Yep - we are moms and we want our kids to be special.

I know my daughter is bright. Brighter than others? I have no idea. Is she learning things that lots of other kids her age aren't? Yes. But so are others. I tell moms all the time - "gifted" can not be applied until 1st or 2nd grade. Toddlers and preschoolers learn things at different rates, at different times. But they all learn them. It's not possible to tell "gifted" until things even out in early grade school and they are all learning the same things at the same time.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• well i think ur son is gifted cuz i dont no the damn song!
    mamacita4two

Answer by mamacita4two at 1:45 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Kara that was very beautiful put.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 3, 2009