What acne products/meds can be used safely during pregnancy??? help!!

I've had acne since i was 13.. it's slowed down a bit after age 18. now i am 21 years old and 9 weeks pregnant. it's back with a vengeance! biore products have done wonders for me prepregnancy but in some of my books it says not to use salicylic acid or benzoyl(?) peroxide. the two most common treatments. they're in everything from my face wash to my lotion and make up! i wash my face twice a day with the one cleanser i have that doesn't have that stuff in them and use olay face lotion.. all oil free/ sensitive skin stuff. i'm still breaking out. i drink plenty of water and only wear makeup once or twice a week for a short time. i've got 2 more weeks til i see the doc for the first time.. i plan on talking to her about it as welll, i just wish there was something more i could do now!
any ideas??? please and thank you =)

KyleeTrogolo

Asked by KyleeTrogolo at 11:23 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I used my facial products with those in them all the way through my pregnancy. Why can't you use them? I use Mary Kay Velocity products but all acne treatments have those products b/c that is what kills the bacteria that causes acne.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Tea Tree Oil.

I use it straight on my daughters skin in pure form. I also have her use a not caustic Acne Treatment from Melaleuca. Great stuff.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 11:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• There really isnt anything you can buy over the counter that you can use, just some of the washes. I am told a dermatologist can give you something that you can use. also dandylion sap can clear you up over night. pick a dandylion and squeeze out the milky sap and put on your acne let it dry and sit over night .(may darken a little as it dries). If you have allergies though I would be careful. wash off in the morning. It really works well.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 11:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I was at the doctor yesterday and though I'm sure all doctors have their own ideas I was told that salicylic acid is okay as long as I just lather up my face and then rinse. She said as long as I am not soaking in it and it's just my face that it's fine to continue with my regular face soap. I certainly think you should ask your own doctor, but I plan on using my trusty anti oil soap for the rest of my pregnancy and beyond.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:47 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I use Neutrogena products my doctor didn't oppose that. Do you use a cleanser,scrub,toner,and moisturizer? Thats the best thing you can possibly do.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 12:59 AM on Apr. 3, 2009