• In the Spotlight:

How do I get my daughter to dance??

I put my 3 year old in ballet and tap. We have been going since January 2009. She will not dance. She wants me to dance with here and I have but she stops after a few minutes and then I am left out there looking like a weirdo. She will go out there and lay on the floor and mess up all the girls. Her new thing is to go up to the mirrors and lick them and kiss them and leave her trail. I tried leaving her, she cried after I snuck out. I have tried having others take her, didn't work either. Any suggestions??

SUZYQMOM

Asked by SUZYQMOM at 11:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Tell her will give her GUM after
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• maybe she's just not ready for something like that. My MIL put my BIL's in tee ball at 3 and it was a disaster. They just didn't have the attention span or drive to do it. They were just too young to...care?
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I put both my daughters in a "Creative Movement" class at 3 and 4. This was the step before Ballet and Tap. The teacher encouraged them to run, spin, wave their arms, etc. This helped her get to know them and their personalities. That way she clued in to their personalities and what it took to motivate them to dance the next year. You might want to try a "Creative Movement" class first.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 11:37 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• maybe she doesn't want to be in dance. if she doesn't want to dance, take her out.
    Just dance with her at home to the radio or in the yard.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I like aprilmorgans suggestion

EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 11:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My daughter would not particiapte in one of her classes - a class she WANTS to be in and LIKES. So I told her before we went exactly what would happen in class, exactly what I expected her to do, and what would happen if she didn't. If she flops on the floor and refuses to participate, I take her outside and she stands in a corner. Usually just the threat is enough to get her up. If not, moments after we walk out she is asking to go back in.
    I allowed her to run and play and ignore the class for a long time (a year actually) but once she hit 2.5 years I had had enough. Kids much younger than her were participating and I KNEW she could. And she has.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My boys aren't in dance, but take a gym class at the Y. They are supposed to listen to the coach and do what they are told.

If they don't, they have to come sit with me and their youngest brother on the sidelines and watch. The threat of that is usually enough to get them back on track.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:43 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I used to teach dance to 3 and 4 year olds. (I miss it!) But, I had some criers in my class. I would have them be my special helper. It worked every time. Do you think you can talk to her teacher to see what she recommends. Also, at that age, a thirty minute or hour long class will not hold their attention. Is the teacher only focusing on ballet? I taught ballet, but we also played with scarves, jumped over "ponds" that were drawn out of chalk on the floor, etc. They can't be teaching too much technique at this age. If so, that could be why your DD is bored in class. perhaps find a different teacher to see if your DD likes that class more?
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:29 AM on Apr. 3, 2009