What age group should children be taken off the bottle?

My son is 16 months, should he be off the bottle?

t_ersland07

Asked by t_ersland07 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• HELL yes he should be off the bottle. It should have been taken away at 1. It can cause serious tooth problems if left to long.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• It's really best at 1, but realistically for many Moms their kids aren't completely of until around 13month or so. You're not the only one that hasn't taken care of this yet. Hopefully you have already introduced the sippy cup. Now would be the perfect time to take the bottle away except right before bed. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• My doctor always told me no later than 12 months. Go to the store and let him pick out some special "big boy" cups (sippys). Make a big deal of it and then let the bottles disappear! It may be hard the first few days, but it won't take long. I personally think trying to cut back on the number of bottles a day just prolongs the whole thing. Good luck!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• ONLY if you WANT to. Honestly, IF, it isn't harming him. Ask his doctor and dentist if he is having any problems.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• yes.
    Anonymous

• my son was 18 months when i took his away - no willpower there. my daughter, on the other hand, was giving me her bottle to refill at 1 yr 2wks. she was able to drink from a sippy cup but preferred the bottle. one night, i refused to give her the bottle and made her drink the cup. she got angry but she totally forgot about it after 3 days(and learned to go to sleep by herself too).
    tkp1982

Answer by tkp1982 at 12:25 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Ask your family dentist about the effects of a child being on the bottle to long. If he is still on the bottle now i would definitly switch to water only in the bottles atleast. especially at night. They have awesome sippy cups designed for the first stages. With a soft rubber spout and handles. that is what we used for both of my sons, and i recommend them to my daycare clients. Make it a fun thing. i always said, oh my goodness, look what you get now. a cup just for big boys, wow, you are so lucky, it is awesome. Google taking off bottle or something and see what other moms do. I heard of an idea sort of like the tooth fairy. the mom packaged the last bottle and put it in a special place and talk to the litte girl and told her the fairy was going to take it to a little baby who needed it. and when she woke up the little girl found glitter and feathers and a new cup. her fairy cup:) Good luck!!!
    muzikgrl477

Answer by muzikgrl477 at 12:57 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My oldest was 12 months when she was removed from it but my little one I am holding off since she was born early and also we are flying to Hawaii when she is 15 months and I want her to suck on it to pop her ears. But once we are home its bye bye bottle. I only give her milk and water in it. The juice and all is in a cup.
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 1:05 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Sippy cups aren't any better than bottles so I never understood that. It's still a soft nipple in his mouth for him to suck on it. As long as they aren't abusing the bottle I wouldn't take it away. He could only have it before nap or bed and his teeth would have to be brushed before he fell asleep. I BF but sometimes gave DD a bottle. I never gave her one after 7 months because I didn't want her to be attatched to them. She got regular cups from 5 months with water so I just put BM in those instead of bottles or sippies.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:40 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• We took our sons away 1 week before his first birthday. No kiddo over the age of one should still need a bottle. Definitely not for nutrition, at least, because they're eating enough foods to get their vitamins and nutrients that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Apr. 3, 2009