Rota Vaccine!?!

Anyone's thoughts on it... my daughter is 11 weeks and I need to take her in tomorrow to have him check something and I know her doctor will push it... any ideas... I don't want to get in because I'm waiting on all the vaccines... she goes to work with me and will not be in daycare but her 5 year old brother does go to school and that's my only hesitation... please any thoughts!?!?!

CocoB22

Asked by CocoB22 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well Rota is HIGHLY contagious... but getting the vaccine doesn't mean she won't get the virus. But it does shorten it and make it less severe.
    I'm a pediatrics nurse.. and in the past month we have seen a huge increase in Rota, even in children who have had the vaccine... but not nearly as many children come in as we used to have and when they do have to be admitted the stay is only a day or two rather than before it was 3 days to a week before they could go home.
    The vaccine is oral... so at least no shots!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:58 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I agree with amijanell. Highly contagiousnand not only from kids but also adults. My dd got all her vaxes and did just fin.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:30 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• im not getting my daughter any vaccines.

just tell her dr that as of right now you have decided as her parent that you are delaying ANY vaccines until she is older.

and i would just leave it at that the shuold respect that explanation and just have you sign a waiver.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:41 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I GOT MY KID VACCINATED WITH THE ROTA VIRUS VACCINE AND WHILE I WAS PREGNANT WITH MY DS, MY DEAR DAUGHTER AND I BOTH CAUGHT ROTAVIRUS. SO I REALLY CAN'T SAY YAY OR NAY AS I WAS UNLUCKY ENOUGH TO GO THROUGH IT DURING PREGNANCY AMIDST BRONCHITIS AND PNEUMONIA AS WELL AS HYPERTENSION AND GESTATIONAL DIABETES ALL AT THE SAME TIME! I BELIEVE THE DECISION IS ONE THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE REGARDING VACCINES FOR YOUR KIDS. I WILL SAY THIS THOUGH SOME OF THE VACCINES HAVE ACTUALLY ERADICATED SOME OF THE DISEASES THEY PREVENT AND IF JUST ONE PERSON DECIDES NOT TO VACCINATE A CHILD IN EVERY STATE, THEN THAT OPENS THE DOOR FOR NEW OUT BREAKS OF THOSE DISEASESOF WHICH WE ARE TRYING TO PREVENT
    pasmommy

Answer by pasmommy at 3:28 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I can only speak from my experience. It wasn't available when my daughter was born, and I refused it for my son. I stay home with them, so there is no daycare/classroom setting. I also breastfeed, which does help boost immunities. Personally, this vax is too new for my liking.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:20 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• i agree with krysta622, the original vax was recalled less than a year after it was released. The new vax- to me is just another experiment using our children.
    casd

Answer by casd at 4:52 PM on Apr. 3, 2009