to nap or not to nap?

Okay so my son has been on a go to bed at 5-7AM(yes AM) and get up around 2-4pm. He would nap once around like 10pm he would nap no matter how hard we tried to keep him up. So today my hubby got our son up at 11:30am and he had a one hour nap around 3pm....he is acting really sleepy now at 9pm....do I let him nap? If he goes to bed it's doubtful he will stay asleep till morning.(15months old)

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:11 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He should be sleeping 12 to 14 hours at night with at least one nap that is anywhere from 45 mintues to a couple hours long. If you are trying to switch him back to night time sleep, it will take at least a few days.
    My best advice is to wake him up at whatever time you want him to get up in the morning from this point on.
    Get him into sunlight for at least 15 minutes within an hour of his waking.
    Keep him up for 4 or 5 hours and then let him nap.
    Keep him up for as long as possible until bedtime. Start with a bedtime that is 13 hours before his wakeup time. As his body adjusts and catches up on sleep, you may need to move both the nap time and bedtime to work with his needs.

Good Luck!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• if i let him nap now he always wakes up after a few hours and is ready to go for another five hours! That is how he got on such a bad schedule. So if I let him go to sleep now should I just let him sleep and then what if he wakes up?
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:30 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My daughter is 13 months and she wakes up at 7:00 am then naps around 12:40 for about an hour then up nap 1 hour around 4:30 or so then home dinner bath and dinner then bed around 8:00 then up maybe 3 am then we start all over. Have son play more harder and make sure balence meals this will help him also. Best of luck.
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 1:11 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I always read it was 12-14 hours or so a day. So my toddler who sleeps 10 hours needs a 2 hour nap which is what she does on her own. Maybe hold him off a couple hours so that when he wakes up it's closer to morning. Or just let him sleep and wake up when he wants falling into a schedule and then waking him up every couple days 15 minutes earlier and going to bed 15 minutes earlier.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:45 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• wow. what an odd schedule does he ever see the light?lol... I would suggest keeping him up till you want him to sleep. If you keep bugging him when he goes to fall asleep he might get cranky but at least you can correct his sleep schedule a little. We had to do that with our son when my hubby went from working mid nights to days:-)
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 7:10 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• You set the schedule, he doesn't! Wake him up in the morning... take him outside. Put him down for an afternoon nap, and wake him up if he's not up in 2-3 hours. No nap till bedtime -- 8 or 9 at the latest. Leave him in there to sleep. If he wakes up after a couple of hours, go in and remind him that it's dark outside, which means night, and night is for SLEEPING. Let him cry if you have to. He will adjust.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:09 AM on Apr. 3, 2009