What do you think about parents drinking alcohol in front of their kids?

I am just wondering. I have seen alot of "smoking is gross" type questions, but what about alcohol?

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 1:16 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it is just as bad as smoking. Yes, with smoking, their are health risk, but their are also risks with alcohol. Your judgement and reaction time are hinder when you are under the influence of alchol. What if a child hurts themself while you are drinking and you can't drive them b/c you have alcohol in your system?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:18 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• well you can call 911.. i think it's o.k. if it's in moderation, you drink to enjoy the drink not to get drunk. Like on the weekend while lounging sure why not, as well as smoking whatever just not around the kids and i always wash up before handling the kids.
    Things are fine in moderation
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 1:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I don't drink in front of my kids, but my SO, or even my step dad like to have a couple beers after a long day at work. It doesn't bother me that they see it, and those that do drink in front of them do not do it to the point of physical or mental impairment. I obviously wouldn't let them drive my child to the hospital in a emergent situation (i'd get them there faster in my car than an ambulance would--i'm that close), but that's where mommy who doesn't drink comes in!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• i dont see a problem at all. as long as it's not excessive or everyone's drunk acting stupid lol. but im sure u didnt mean it like that. lol my dad drank beer around me several times a week when i was a kid. usually 1 -2 beers at night time before he went to bed when he did drink. and as long as the kids know that it's a grown up drink then why not ya know? i didnt grow up 2 be an alcoholic or anything i dont even remember the last time i had an alcoholic beverage! lol if u give them the whole 'its bad dont do it' theyre only gonna turn around and say 'well you do it!' but its not bad in moderation so just tell them that when theyre big/legal enough cuz its for grown ups!
    princess021

Answer by princess021 at 1:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with drinking alchohol in front of your kids as long as your not getting drunk.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with parents having a glass of wine or a beer or a mai tai in front of their children. I do object to parents drinking to excess with their children around.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:23 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• if its a glass of wine or a beer or even a margarita at a bbq i wouldnt mind at all, it teaches kids responsible drinking, but getting trashed in front of kids is a no no
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:31 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My hubby has an evening drink when he's home... He never gets drunk and they know that what Dads drinking is for adults only... As for smoking we have been smoke free since October 08 and it's been so great! I feel we have done something positive for all of us! If we can quit anyone can!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• There is no way I would ever drink around my kiddo....but I don't think that it's wrong to have 1-2 beers/margaritas whatever in front of them....responsible drinking is not getting drunk.
    ProudMom9107

Answer by ProudMom9107 at 2:29 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Responsible drinking in front of your children is perfectly fine, it teaches them that alcohol is not to be used to get drunk, but rather to enjoy a glass of wine or a beer with dinner, etc. My kids were raised in Spain for 3 years of their lives, and in Europe in general they usually have beer or wine with dinner (and sometimes lunch) and it's no big deal. They don't have the binge drinking in teens like we do here either, because over there its not a big deal to kids and teenagers, its just a drink you have with meals or to celebrate you may have some sangria or something. I think drinking in front of your kids and showing them how to do it responsibly when they are of age makes it much less tempting for them to overindulge in it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:17 AM on Apr. 3, 2009