Ticks!

my dog has a tick on her stomache...we were told to do the whole counter clock wise while pulling out thing..(which ive heard ppl say not to do, but have also heard just as many say To do it) and only the body came out. will the head come out as well? do i just leave it alone? or is there something i can do? or should i take her to the vet? ive never dealt with somthing like this!! help!!

tnteaton

Asked by tnteaton at 1:24 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Pets

• Maybe try drowning the area in alcohol. The tick is dead now but maybe it will release. If it doesn't come out in a few days I'd ask the Vet about it. Wouldn't want it to become infected.
    annamarie221

Answer by annamarie221 at 3:20 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Lay the dog down flat and use a credit card and apply pressure to press the head out. The head is where all the infections the tick may have are and needs to be removed asap
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 11:54 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My dogs get ticks ALL the time. We live in the mountains. We use tick meds but Hartz does not work well. I'm switching back to Frontline. Anyways, the head should come out on its own. Just keep an eye on it for infection. You can apply hydrogen peroxide if it starts to get infected.

P.S. My dogs have never had one become infected, but it is something to watch for.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 4:14 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Thanks
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:22 PM on Apr. 3, 2009