My 1 1/2 month old refuses to sleep.. ever! Help??

I've tried everything I could find online, I've had my mom try to help, I even tried letting her cry it out. All she does is quits crying for five minutes then starts screaming louder and harder. I never get any sleep and I'm beginning to get mean.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• dont get mean. its your child. babies cry.

she could be going through a growth spurt or having a tummy ache or something along those lines....

any thing else accompanied by it?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:31 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I am so sorry! My daughter did the same thing! I was miserable! I just wanted to jump off the roof! I finally gave in and let her sleep in the bed with me. She has been sleeping through the night ever since!
    actress

Answer by actress at 1:33 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I can understand how you can "get mean"..Lack of sleep makes you cranky...I was ver cranky!
    actress

Answer by actress at 1:34 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My son still doesn't sleep *sigh* but at least he isn't crying! But I know how it can start getting to you when you are so over tired.
    Is she quiet when she is held? Does she just like to snuggle? Or do you think it could be something more?
    I would first try an nice tight swaddle and maybe put her in her swing and see if that helps. Possibly get a womb sound thing to help soothe her.
    Maybe she is still hungry? Try feeding her a bit more.
    Could she maybe have reflux? Is she a spitty baby? Breastfed or formula? If she is breastfed maybe something you are eating is uspetting her. If she is formula fed maybe she needs a different kind.
    Maybe an ear infection?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:39 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• hold her until she falls asleep, i suggest you invest in a moby wrap... i'd give you mine but a psychic just told me i'd have a baby girl within the year LOL ;] (i hope not that soon but hey you never know)
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:43 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I'm not mean to her, mean to everyone else. I'm just tired all the time.
    I've tried letting her sleep in my bed with me, rocking her, giving her more to eat, and giving her a pacifier. She completely despises her swing and the only thing she does like is being bounced.. which makes her throw up.
    She takes formula, we were on Soy Isomil Simolac, and just bought a thing of the purple one for colic.. hoping that helps. She spits up a ton even hours after she's eaten.
    But during the day she won't sleep either is my problem. I thought babies that young were only supposed to be awake for like 8 hours? She's up probably 15-20, and I'm NOT joking.
    I've been trying the whole, warm soothing bath, warm bottle, rocking and singing her to sleep but she refuses.
    She punches her little arms out of her swaddlers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• i didnt really think you were MEAN mean to her... i was just trying to say be positive ... i hope it didnt seem like that ;(
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:05 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Heh heh. Sleep is the Holy grail of parenting. And you'll have better luck finding the original Grail.

It may be that the formula just isn't agreeing with her. You might try changing it and seeing if things improve. But not sleeping is more normal than not.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:25 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Thanks everyone. I'll try everything.
    And I was just clariffying that I'm not mean to her lol.

She finally ended up sleeping. 2 o'clock in the morning. I bounced her on my chest for about 30 minutes and held her pacifier in her mouth cause she always drops it. (=
    Now hopefully I can get some sleep too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• MY 16-YEAR OLD SON DID THAT AT THAT AGE, BUT IF HE WAS IN A CAR HE WOULD SLEEP (HE STILL GOES TO SLEEP WHEN HE'S NOT DRIVING), BUT WHAT HIS PROBLEM WAS IS THAT HE HAD A TOUCH OF COLIC, BUT WHEN HE WAS ABOUT 2-MONTHS OLD HE STARTED SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT AND IT WAS HEAVEN SENT AT THAT TIME. MY 14-YEAR OLD DID THE SAME THING AND COME TO FIND OUT HE WAS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH ACID REFLUX AND HIS PEDIATRIC DOCTOR SENT HIM TO DO SOME TEST WITH A PEDIATRIC GASTROENTEROLOGIST AND THEY PUT HIM ON MEDICINE FOR IT AND IT HELPED HIM OUT GREAT SO YOU MAY WANT TO GO SEE THE DOCTOR AND TALK TO THEM ABOUT IT AND DON'T FREAK OUT IF THEY WANT TO DO SOME TESTS THAT IS THE ONLY WAY THEY WILL EVER FIND OUT WHAT'S GOING ON!!!
    cricketd

Answer by cricketd at 8:16 AM on Apr. 3, 2009