do you have an alcoholic parent?

my father just fell off the wagon and it hurts me so bad. i only saw one group for adults with alcoholic parents and im wondering if anyone shares my pain?

and yes i know i opened the Krabapple Bar but im not being a hypocrite, im just using humor to mask my pain is all :] i like to think of the nastiest things people can say and beat them to it LOL

aliciatron

Asked by aliciatron at 1:35 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Health

• I don't have an alcoholic parent, but as a recovering addict (4 years clean in July) I can tell you this: only he will get himself sober. No matter how badly anyone pushes him to get sober, he cannot accomplish this until HE wants it.

The best advice I can give you is to tell him you worry about him, and tell him you love him. Offer to help him get into treatment when he is ready. Give him your love, but tell him if he starts abusing that love by hurting you or the ones YOU love, that you will have to distance yourself.

I cannot imagine how much I put my parents through when I was still using (this was way before I had a child). I can only imagine your pain at watching him do well, and then to slip right back into his old ways. Good luck mama, and *HUGS*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• nope...I have an alcoholic sister and she is a parent of a six year old daughter...She makes me soooooo angry!... Sorry!
    actress

Answer by actress at 1:39 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• its fine! its still hard, i feel for her daughter
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:41 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Ye, I do. I haven't spoken to him in seven years. My mom kicked him out when I was very little. He chose not to contact us very often...like maybe five times.
    For a long time it hurt that he would choose the drink over us, but I have gotten over it. I know it is a sickness and I really have no feelings toward him anymore.
    My mom remarried when I was five, My stepdad is my REAL dad. I love him like I have never loved Frank. He bandaged my owies and walked me down the isle. I love him like he was my natural father.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:04 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• yeah my step dad who raised me was a big time alcoholic and used to beat my brother and me a lot. we went into cps custody for 2 years because of it. he is a lot better now and knows he has a problem and has been clean now for 10 years! i am so proud of him and not at all ashamed to call him my dad.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 2:09 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• my dad is an alcoholic. it was really bad when i was younger and then it got better as i got older.. but now its bad again. i dont really talk to him much.. i mean id love to. but it always seems like he has better things to do than call me.. so its whatever.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 10:13 AM on Apr. 3, 2009