ticks!! (posted in pets)

my dog has a tick on her stomache...we were told to do the whole counter clock wise while pulling out thing..(which ive heard ppl say not to do, but have also heard just as many say To do it) and only the body came out. will the head come out as well? do i just leave it alone? or is there something i can do? or should i take her to the vet? ive never dealt with somthing like this!! help!!

tnteaton

Asked by tnteaton at 1:40 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If part of the tick’s head still appears to be embedded, use the tweezers to gently pull it out. If some of the head cannot be removed, do not become alarmed. This should fall off eventually and rarely causes complications.

Got that from a website, and it also says pull the tick straight out with no twisting or turning, and pull it out slowly and gently so you don't squeeze any bacteria or anything back into the dog. My dog had a horrible tick infestation when we lived in spain, and now we treat our animals with Frontline plus, which kills all stages of fleas, ticks, and lice. I highly suggest buying a monthly supply of Frontline PLUS not the regular as the plus kills all stages of the life cycle including eggs.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:47 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• you can also place a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohal over the bite and the head will come out. i used to work at a vet and we did this for dogs that came in with infestation...
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 1:58 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Oh No dont worry - been threw this many times. It will come out on its own. This may sound gross but my daughter had a tick, same thing happened and of course I ran her to ER - Doc said no big deal but I was freaking out so he did a small cut and got it out but he said it would have come out on it own. yucky anyhow.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 8:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• thanks...im getting answers from Every direction and my sis who used to work at a vet said the same thing you did bristle
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2009