Tanning bed question (about the bulbs)

how many hours can a place get out of the tanning bulbs and how do I know their bulbs are good? I always ask and always get the same answer no matter when I go "our bulbs were just changed,and have plenty of hours left"

if I'm paying for my tan,I want good bulbs. I tan easy and I can get very,very dark. I like going to the beds because its faster then laying out in the hot southern sun and I relax so much in the beds.

what advice can you give me? and how do I find out the truth about bulb time w/o seeming like a bitch?

Thanks in advance!

SherriX2

Asked by SherriX2 at 2:10 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Well...........here's a way to avoid the bulb question.

Mystic Tan. No bulbs at all, no risk of melanoma.

I now you don't want to hear that. I know! But melanoma rates have skyrocketed among young women thanks to tanning beds.

I lost a colleague to melanoma some years ago. She was in her 30s.

Honestly, there's no way for you to be sure of those bulbs unless the salon is willing to show you maintenance records. If they keep them! You can try asking the owner but I don't think you'll get any farther than you have. There aren't any agencies to regulate these things.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:23 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I'm guessing Mystic tan is spray on? if not........I have tried spray on. But it was at least 3 yrs ago so maybe its better ( here where I live anyway) but with the spray I got #1. I could hardly tell, like I said I can get very dark & I didn't with the spray and #2. it didn't last long #3.it takes so long to dry.

But I do understand the risk of tanning bed & the real sun. I am probably already at high risk since I have had sunburns before the age of 18, and I have tanned for years AND I got a second degree sunburn when I lived in Hawaii.

SherriX2

Answer by SherriX2 at 2:20 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Lol...you can't tell so the only way to know is to have "someone on the inside" or work there yourself and be your own tanning bulb "spy" he he good luck on this mission
    imagine-that

Answer by imagine-that at 5:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I had melanoma! Please don't use tanning beds! They are so dangerous!! I used them during my high school years. I am now 40 and just had surgery to get rid of it.
    kari2669

Answer by kari2669 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2010