IS 34 years old too old to try for another child when one already has a 14 year old?

ivntee07

Asked by ivntee07 at 3:34 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I will be 40 years old in July and I currently have a 15 year old (as of end of April), a 3 1/2 year old and a 20 month old. So, no I don't think you are too old at all.

But, don't believe everyone who tells you that your teenager will be a great help and built-in babysitter. He/she will still need their own life and should not be relied on to spend all their time helping with the child you decide to have. That can build lifelong resentment between them.

Good Luck.
    dottieanna29

Answer by dottieanna29 at 7:07 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I don't think so, but because of your age you will have to get more testing done for genic disorders and thing of that nature... If you wan't a baby and can take care of it then go for it!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 3:36 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I think i just answered this, but no I don't think so. You're not dead yet!
    annamarie221

Answer by annamarie221 at 3:38 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• As long as you have no history of medical problems, I don't see why not.
    SCMom130

Answer by SCMom130 at 6:06 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• 34 is fine! I am 38 and 25 weeks pregnant. My oldest is 19! I also have an almost 2 year old. :) GL!
    susanna71

Answer by susanna71 at 6:49 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• not if its what you want. go for it. my mom was 39 before she had her first and 40 when she had me. and that was 26 years ago no. so go for it.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 6:55 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• No. I was 33 when we brought our daughter home. Granted, I don't have an older kid, but I really don't think that matters one bit.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:31 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I mght need to get a little more backround but I HAD MY LAST BABY AT 33. I belive they might do more testing at age 35 +. Hey just think you will have a good moms helper w/ 14yo.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 7:32 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• i think it's all how you feel about it and how your health is. i wanted a second child so badly. we couldn't have another one. we were soooo blessed being able to adopt a brand new baby 2 days old!!! and i was 38. my dh kept saying YOU KNOW HOW OLD WE ARE? lol my son was 10 at the time. i think i am actually a better mother at that age not so ridgid. of course there isn't any other 40 yro moms with toddlers around here so i have to be around young pepole so my dd can socialize...if you want it and have the health for it go for it!!! you are not too old. your 14 yro will be fine
    mamakat12

Answer by mamakat12 at 7:44 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• no 34 isnt to old, my dr had me take extra folic acid since i was over 30 and on meds.
    taz1993

Answer by taz1993 at 8:09 AM on Apr. 3, 2009